Chipotle Goat Tacos with Sour Creamed Corn

March 22, 2016

Chipotle Goat Tacos with Sour Creamed Corn

So it turns out that a shoulder of goat goes a reeaally long way – the two of us were eating that thing for a week. As much as it was great braised and stuffed into pitta bread,ย there are rules about cooking leftovers, most of which involve frying, adding chilli, or plopping a wobbly egg on top.

Tacos are handy for using up leftover roasted meat, which can be chopped and pumped with extra flavour (in this case chipotles in adobo sauce). We’re still getting the hang of making the fresh ones, as you can see. Now now, don’t laugh; we didn’t add enough water to this batch so they came out somewhat thick and raggedy. More practice needed.

You can buy tacos from Mex Grocer if you want the authentic corn jobs – entirely different to those weird, gummy wheat versions. The flavour is amazing, and when made properly, they’re not dry or hard in the slightest. When I went on a taco tour of Tijuana in Mexico last year, I found that most places actually give you two tacos as a bed for the fillings, they’re so floppy and soft.

Chipotle Goat

We sizzled the leftover meat with a mixture of chipotle, ancho, guajillo and arbol chillies, to get some complexย smoke and fruit flavours going on. There’s cumin, coriander, garlic, red onion. Look, it’s not a timid recipe, m’kay? The sour creamed corn is just BOSS too, a tangier version of the regular creamed. Dangerous stuff which finds its way into your mouth by the spoonful.

Chipotle Goat Tacos with Sour Creamed Corn

Leftover goat or other roasted meat
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
1 each ancho, guajillo and arbol chilli, rehydrated and chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Pinch each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds and black pepper, ground together or smashed in a pestle and mortar

Fry the onion in a tablespoon or so of oil and add the garlic and spices. Cook gently, stirring for a few minutes, then add the goat and chillies. Allow to cook, stirring regularly, for around 15-20 minutes, maybe longer depending on the fattiness of your meat. Play it by ear. Season.

For the sour creamed corn:

1 tin sweetcorn (regular size, whatever that is)
25g butter
1 tablespoon flour
75ml soured cream

Melt the butter in a small pan, stir in the flour and blend well. Add the corn, sour cream and salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat untl thick and lovely.

Quick pickled red onions:

Finely slice red onions and mix with three tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar. Leave for an hour or so, stirring every now and then. Makes a great topping on loads of things.

Serve with tacos (available online) plus coriander and lime wedges.

• Reply Ed March 22, 2016 at 11:50 am

Looks great. I started playing around with tacos reasonably recently – buying the tortilla press revolutionised the whole process for me. Have you watched the Rick Bayless youtube stuff? Invaluable for tips & tricks, and he’s doing a new series of Taco Tuesday youtube shorts which are brilliant.

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 22, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Yeah we have a press! I haven’t watched the Rick Bayless stuff so thanks for the tip – will give it a go.

• Reply Ed March 22, 2016 at 12:09 pm

also check out the Alex Stupak book – it’s really great.

• Reply Andy K March 22, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Is it just me that thinks that corn tortilla tastes a bit… well… muddy?

It is? Oh. I’ll get my coat…

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 22, 2016 at 1:41 pm

No, not at all! A lot of people don’t like the muddy flavour. Personally, I adore it. I really got into it when I went to San Diego where the Mexican food is just fantastic.

• Reply Jim March 22, 2016 at 6:40 pm

you had me at Chipotle Goat.

• Reply Ben March 23, 2016 at 11:14 am

Any suggestions about where is best to buy a shoulder of goat in Peckham?

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 23, 2016 at 11:24 am

Yes the butchers on the High Street just down from Burger King usually have it.

• Reply Naomi March 23, 2016 at 11:14 am

Oh my god, its beautiful. You’re making me so hungry, hah! Would love to try this out this weekend, hopefully the kids will like it as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 23, 2016 at 11:24 am

Fab! Let me know how it goes down ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Nicola Miller March 23, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Wheat tortillas shouldn’t be gummy. Made properly they are far from it, just as you can buy good bread and poorly baked bread. (Disclaimer: I was brought up on both kinds and make both varieties myself after being well taught by our Mexican housekeeper whose ancestors were from the corn- dominated south although we lived in wheat-familiarised Northern Mexico)

We’re lucky here in W Suffolk because mature goat and kid is widely available, both from town butchers and small village ones: one aspect of food where we’re light years ahead of London. I watch the amount of coriander like a hawk because too much of it combined with cabrito results in a dreadful soapy flavour. Even worse than usual.

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 23, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Yeah I’m not sure we could get any non-gummy wheat tortillas here. Also I love the flavour of corn too much to bother looking. That’s brilliant news about the goat, I’m a huge fan.