BREAKFAST | BRUNCH | PASTRIES MEAT RECIPES VEGETABLES | FUNGI

Sweetcorn and Kimchi Fritters

March 4, 2016

Sweetcorn and Kimchi Fritters

So brunch is a big thing, then. We’re not allowed to go out for breakfast any longer – we must brunch. The Australians are mad for it, with their avocados and endless cups of coffee. In America they’ve long loved those stacks of impossible-to-finish pancakes dripping in syrup. Why a stack? One of those fluffy facecloths is enough. I had a shock the first time I saw a plate of those arrive, let me tell you, giving the waitress my best, ‘when will the other people be arriving?’ look. She didn’t care, it’s normal. They’re used to picking up the remains and chucking them straight in the bin.

I feel a bit like this about brunch in general, it’s all just too much for the morning. Eggs, meat, bottomless booze and all of the rich things on one plate. Instead of setting you up for the day, this meal can easily send you back to bed. I like to draw the line at a single egg, a couple of bacon rashers and my new secret weapon – the corn and kimchi fritter. Corn fritters are obviously brilliant already (what with them containing corn and all), and kimchi goes really well with their sweetness, adding its own special funky punch of heat and crucially, acidity to lighten things. The drippy egg means it’s enough to fill you up, but not f*ck you up, because we all have stuff we’d like to do on a Saturday morning that doesn’t involve going back to bed, right?

Sweetcorn and Kimchi Fritters

Makes 12 fritters.

140g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
220ml milk
3 spring onions, finely sliced (plus another to serve)
1 x 165g can sweetcorn (drained weight)
150g kimchi, roughly chopped
Small handful of coriander leaves, chopped
Oil, for frying

Bacon and eggs, to serve

Mix the flour and baking powder then whisk in the milk to make a smooth but thick batter. Add the other ingredients (saving 1 spring onion and a little coriander for garnish). Season with salt and pepper.

Heat some oil in a frying pan, a couple of tablespoons to start, you can add more as you go, and drop tablespoons of the mixture into the pan. Flatten them out and cook for a minute or so each side until golden. Set aside on kitchen paper while you cook the others.

Serve with grilled bacon and a poached egg. Scatter with the remaining spring onion and coriander to serve.

• Reply Eliza Bennet March 4, 2016 at 11:39 am

As a person loving brunch I felt the need to defend it a bit. The best is the Sunday brunch and we go to a nice place with my friends – and stay there for about 5 hours, pacing our food and drinks. Brunch is ideal for that kind of thing.

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 6, 2016 at 8:55 am

Yes I do accept that I am on my own here. Or maybe I just need more stamina?

• Reply Nina March 5, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Made these this morning. Super delicious! Thanks Helen.

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 6, 2016 at 8:54 am

Fabulous! So pleased you enjoyed them 🙂

• Reply Diana March 5, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Not only has this arrived bang on time for Sunday brekkie here in NZ, it looks delicious and I have all the ingredients in the house – it’s a blimmin miracle!

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 6, 2016 at 8:54 am

It was meant to be, Diana! Love that you’re reading from NZ.

• Reply omlet March 6, 2016 at 5:05 pm

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it. Pinning it now!

• Reply Joanna March 7, 2016 at 8:22 am

These look great. Quick question – where do you buy kimchi? I’m a fellow S-E Londoner (towards Crystal Palace) – is there somewhere local you go? I usually just order a double portion to get my fix when we go out for Korean food…

• Helen Graves
      Reply Helen Graves March 7, 2016 at 8:41 am

I usually buy it in Longdan (Elephant and Castle) or I think they have it in the Wing Tai in Peckham. You could always order online, though.

• Reply Marlinspiek May 20, 2016 at 9:58 am

I was looking for an egg-free fritter recipe to adapt for mucver (Turkish courgette fritters usually made with egg batter) and your recipe works a treat. I swapped the sweetcorn and kimchi for a grated courgette, chopped dill and some crumbled feta and the fritters turned out amazing – crips outside and tender inside. Delicious served with cacik (yoghurt with garlic/mint/cucmber/dill). I must try it with sweetcorn too for a weekend breakfast.

• Reply Tonny May 20, 2016 at 10:08 am

I love Sweetcorn and Kimchi Fritters so much but I haven’t found the recipe for it yet. Now, here they are. I must try to make it right now

• Reply Tomas June 18, 2016 at 8:24 am

Love this recipe 🙂 This look great!