PICKLES RECIPES

Pickled Spring Onions

June 12, 2015

18548395059_0b263a6c3b_o

I did warn you that I would be posting lots of spring onion recipes since I was lumbered with 34kg of the darn things. It’s a good job I love them, although it’s possible that I’m starting to faintly whiff. There are signs…people wincing when I come near them, flies dropping dead from the sky when I open my mouth to speak, small children crying, that kind of thing.

It struck me that pickling might be a very good way to use up loads in one go and I’m really very pleased with the way these turned out. They’re in the sweet pickle camp, which means they go very well with grilled meats in particular (BBQ gold), but also fish. They’re obviously excellent in sandwiches. They’re basically what I would call a Super Garnish; one blessed with magical powers. In fact, I almost wish I had more sprin…no no NO, what am I SAYING?

You’ll find the recipe for Magic Onions below. You may also want to rest your eyeballs on the post about my first effort at using up the spring onion mountain, these smoky steak and spring onion nachos, which actually turned out to be one of the most popular recipes I’ve ever posted on Food Stories. Silver linings.

Pickled Spring Onions

(makes 1 x 1 litre jar, in case you don’t have 33kg lying about)

250ml white vinegar
300g spring onions
125g sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
A few slices of scotch bonnet chilli
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

In a saucepan heat the vinegar, spices, salt, sugar and 500ml water until boiling. Add the spring onions and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the spring onions to jars and add the scotch bonnet slices. Once the liquid has cooled slightly, pour it over and seal.

• Reply Food Urchin June 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

In which case, I might leave visiting Peckham for a while.

If the whiff is that bad…..

And as for BBQ gold, I shall have to try them myself before I believe that you have struck it.

I will probably end up as stinky as you.

Reply Helen June 12, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Try em and let me know, Power Bald! Can you smell my breath from there?

• Reply Morgan June 12, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Love anything pickled so this will be made!

Been thinking on what to call your “boyfriend’ as you do so hate that term. It is very juvenile, isnt it? How about the very old fashioned beau? Its cute, easy to say, and doesn’t take any explaining.

Reply Helen June 12, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Brill! Let me know what you think. Hmmm a strong suggestion with beau. I’m still not sure! It sounds too posh for me.

• Reply Morgan June 15, 2015 at 4:43 pm

There is nothing worse than sounding snobby. Well, I call my husband, TH, which is The Husband. People who only know me think that is his initials. You could try, TB( the boyfriend) -oh wait no, that isnt good. MG (my guy)? No, no thats a car….TG (the guy)? Or just make up something else. But if you say it with conviction, people won’t ask!

Reply Helen June 15, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Hmm yes maybe I should just plough in confidently with some initials. This is turning out to be one of life’s more difficult questions.

• Reply Deborah June 14, 2015 at 3:56 am

I was thinking about that boyfriend thing too, and I went to Google Translate and tried it in other languages. Things always sound better to me in another language. My favorite is Polish : Sympatia or Portuguese: namorado, and of course, the rascally Italian: Ragazzo with a big rolling “r” of course!

Reply Helen June 15, 2015 at 9:06 am

Ha ha! That’s so brilliant. I like the Portugese one best. My NAMORADO! Ha ha. Thanks Deborah.

• Reply Barm June 15, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Do you pasteurise these or just treat them as shelf stable?

Reply Helen June 15, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Hi Barm,

Sterilise your jar, and then keep them in the fridge to prolong life. They’ll be good for months.

H