PICKLES RECIPES

Pink Pickled Eggs

March 31, 2015

S0130435

Like most British people of a certain age I have two memories of pickled eggs. The first is the giant jar on the counter in the chippy, ghostly blobs suspended in liquid turned murky from too many spoons dipped inside. I used to be terrified of that jar, until I actually tried one. Then, I was hooked. Fish and chips was no longer acceptable unless I got a face full of egg and vinegar guff when I unwrapped the paper. Not tempting you? Weird.

The other memory of course is of a similar jar behind the counter at a certain type of boozer. A pickled egg, dropped into a pack of crisps, then shaken about, was one of the best beer snacks of all time. People are pussies nowadays with their quail scotch eggs and house made ketchup. Same goes for your delicately puffed pig skin served with apple sauce in ramekins. Give me a proper pork scratching with a layer of soft fat underneath and a tooth-breaking top, possibly sporting a couple of proud bristles.

So this is my recipe for pickled eggs. In the spirit of those memories I’ve kept it fairly traditional but for the addition of a beetroot because it turns the eggs pink inside and who doesn’t want a trippy egg? There’s chilli too, because I just went to Mexico. Okay so it’s quite a modern pickled egg, but I can’t stink of chip fat and stale pints forever.

Pickled Eggs

I wrote this recipe for the Better with BRITA campaign.

Pink Pickled Eggs Recipe

12 excellent eggs (e.g. Clarence Court)
1 litre white or cider vinegar
500ml BRITA filtered water
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seed
1 tbsp cumin seeds
4 dried puya entero chillies (or other dried chillies of your choice)
1 large beetroot, cooked and quartered
1 red onion, thickly sliced
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp demerara sugar

Cook the eggs until hard boiled (place them in cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 7 minutes).

Mix the liquids, sugar, salt and spices together and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stack the peeled eggs, beetroot quarters and onion slices in sterilised jars then cover with the pickling liquor. They will be ready to eat after two weeks. Store in the fridge.

• Reply James McNulty March 31, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Looks wonderful and so traditional I have not made eggs in years – used to be popular in the States but not anym0re. I guess the “McDonald’s” generation doesn’t eat pickled eggs.
    Thanks so much for posting. I don’t have to hunt for any of my old recipes.
    My only comments would be to NOT eat these for at least a week or 10 days to permit the flavor of the spices to penetrate the eggs.
    The other comment I would have (and this has been forgotten in the States by many) is that while you put the eggs in a sterilized jar, they are not room temperature stable (unless you live in a cold cave). So once made, store in the fridge until ready to eat, and thereafter.
    PS – I have cheated in the past and added a few more hard boiled eggs to the same pickling liquid to extend the enjoyment.

Reply Helen April 2, 2015 at 9:56 am

Oh yes I forgot to say they need two weeks in the brine. in the fridge. Will amend. Hurried recipe writing!

• Reply Donald April 1, 2015 at 3:10 pm

2 whole weeks we’re going to have to wait to eat these….

• Reply coldclimate April 2, 2015 at 6:06 pm

“A pickled egg, dropped into a pack of crisps, then shaken about, was one of the best beer snacks of all time. People are pussies nowadays with their quail scotch eggs and house made ketchup. Same goes for your delicately puffed pig skin served with apple sauce in ramekins. Give me a proper pork scratching with a layer of soft fat underneath and a tooth-breaking top, possibly sporting a couple of proud bristles.”

AMEN BROTHER

• Reply Chloe April 5, 2015 at 9:55 am

I didn’t think it was possible to do but you’ve made me want to try pickled eggs. Wish me luck.

Reply Helen April 5, 2015 at 11:23 am

Ha! A convert. Well, hopefully. Good luck!

• Reply Emanuele @ guyslovecooking April 6, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Those have got to be the best looking pickled eggs I have ever seen 🙂 yummy!

Reply Helen April 8, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Why, thank you.

• Reply Fiver Feeds April 6, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I’ve never tried pickled eggs. Never even saw them 🙂

Reply Helen April 8, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Very British! Give them a go.

• Reply Simon Hancock April 9, 2015 at 11:45 am

How charmingly camp! I’m in. But how long will they keep in the fridge?

Reply Helen April 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm

A few months…

• Reply zuko April 10, 2015 at 10:07 am

These look great! And the (ramekin of) apple ketchup PittCue serve with their scratchings is definitely worth being called a pussy for 😀

Reply Helen April 10, 2015 at 10:08 am

Ha ha, yes fair enough.

• Reply Gunnhildur July 2, 2015 at 3:34 pm

They look beautiful. I’ve never had pickled eggs but these make me want some.

• Reply mike keen September 30, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Hello Fellow Egg Pickler,

It’s the World Pickled Egg Championships next week! – Saturday 8th October.

Once again it’s an official Fringe Event of the amazing Aldeburgh Food & Drink Festival (September 24th & 25th September).

We have top celebrity judges and a prestigious carved egg trophy for the winner… Up to three entries per person/organisation, get your eggs to me at The Brewery Tap (address on the form) by midday on the 8th October. Judging will be made at 1800hrs with the winner announced at 1900hrs. It’s all part of the rather fabulous Junkaloo Festival – a celebration of proper English Pub Food, live music & other interesting stuff including Morris dancing.

Thanks, good luck & I look forward to receiving your entries!!

Mike