BREAKFAST PECKHAM RESTAURANTS | BARS | STREET FOOD SOUTH LONDON

The Breakfast Company

January 18, 2015

Breakfast

People of South East London, listen up (particularly those likely to wake up with a hangover come the weekend). Do you know that you can get breakfast delivered to your actual (actual) doorstep on Saturday and Sunday mornings? Seriously. The Breakfast Company will do this. The idea came from the brain of a bloke called Niki Byrne, for the reason you might imagine – he was feeling rough one morning and wanted someone to bring him a fry up. He got together with his best mate and brother and made it happen and they now cover much more of South East London and some of South West, although I can only vouch for the service in Peckham and Camberwell, where I am close to their kitchen.

My though, what a service it is. I’ve tried quite a few of the dishes they offer now, and the quality is high. This morning for example, I enjoyed a full English, including sausage, bacon, mushroom, bubble, black pudding and a fried egg that was STILL RUNNY. It came with a tamarind-heavy pot of home made brown sauce and a mixed berry smoothie that was actually lovely instead of tasting either entirely of banana or like someone has blitzed a bag of Iceland frozen forest fruits.

They do sort of homage to ackee and salt fish but with scrambled eggs and mackerel, which comes with plaintain and – wait for it – they actually know how to cook the plantain properly. So many people don’t which is why it is often disgusting. Plantains are very sweet and they need to be cooked with some acidity, in which case they become delicious.

I’ve also tried the huevos rancheros, which arrive with some impossibly tasty chorizo sausages (though the guac needs work), and also a bacon, egg, cheese and hash brown muffin. A grumble: they haven’t worked out how to keep the egg runny in the muffin yet, but tell me they are working on it.

S0036614

What’s surprising about The Breakfast Company is the quality of the food; so many people could come up with this concept and then make a half-arsed attempt, but it’s easy to see they really care about it. Most ingredients are sourced locally or made made in house. They’re also very intensely cheery when they come to the door.  Oh and they’ll pick up a paper for you on the way.

One word of advice though guys, you gotta change that website. There’s just a space to write out your order rather than tick box options, which means that every time you inevitably forget what you want, have to go back to the menu, at which point your entire order is lost and you have to start again. Still, that’s easy to solve with a bit of tinkering (read: paying someone to sort it out) and it’s a small price for what will surely be the saviour of many a person too busy piecing together the events of the night previous to even begin thinking about how they can feed themselves. Me? I’m just a lazy cow who likes having breakfast delivered to my door, and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

• Reply Alicia (foodycat) January 18, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Genius – it’s one of the things I always envy about New York, that they can have breakfast delivered.

Reply Helen January 19, 2015 at 7:38 am

I can’t believe they’re the first to do it. Well perhaps not the first but the first in my area.

• Reply Matt January 19, 2015 at 3:36 pm

“they now cover most of South East London”… right because the world drops off after Peckham.

• Reply oliver January 19, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Are you suggesting it doesn’t?

Reply Helen January 20, 2015 at 10:13 am

Ha ha. Nice one, Matt. How strange that a blog based in SE London should cover a SE London company that is aiming to provide a service in SE London.

Sorry for my delay in replying, I’m in Australia. That’s outside Peckham.

• Reply Bruce January 20, 2015 at 10:18 am

Are you in Clapham? That’s Australia, right?

• Reply Matt January 20, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Wasn’t trying to be funny. Merely suggesting that your claim that the service extends to most of south east london is incorrect and displays your ignorance of the wider south east london area.

Reply Helen January 21, 2015 at 11:19 am

I’m not ‘ignorant of the wider South East London area’, Matt. I’ve lived there for 8 years. Perhaps my choice of words wasn’t perfect. I wasn’t particularly worrying about it when I wrote it, to be honest. I shall edit the post and perhaps we can end this scintillating conversation, and you can sleep better tonight 😉

• Reply Deborah January 21, 2015 at 12:34 am

Whoa, if you folks like that kind of hefty morning fare you’d love our Loco Moco here—while you’re googling that, if you need to, I’m going to google “bubble”. I’ve heard of it but never researched it—
    Hope Australia is good for you, Helen–

Reply Helen January 21, 2015 at 11:21 am

WOAH! Just googled loco moco. That looks…hefty.

• Reply Deborah January 21, 2015 at 2:48 am

Resarch complete–the bubble (AND the squeak) sound like a great way to finish the veggies–but they haven’t served it on Downton Abbey so it’s no wonder I didn’t know what it was and I am just kidding…….

Reply Helen January 21, 2015 at 11:22 am

HA HA, Deborah that is brilliant. I can’t see them eating it on Downton. Well, perhaps downstairs…

• Reply Emma January 24, 2015 at 11:53 am

This excites me terribly… where were they this morning when I needed them? I shall see if I can place an order for the AM as I find South London is limited with it’s Brunch selection on a Sunday. 🙂 I tend to wander to the actress for Sunday brunch (any other recommendations greatly appreciated 🙂 or the great exhibition for a Saturday bloody Mary’s / Mimosas & bottomless breakfasts… yum!

• Reply Jo boissevain January 26, 2015 at 8:34 pm

London people so brave and entrepreneurial. Can’t wait to try it.

• Reply Abigail Scheuer January 27, 2015 at 9:55 pm

What a genius idea! Thanks for sharing, definitely up to try when I’m in South East London next with a hangover (is it possible with no hangover?;))
    X