SALADS VEGETABLES | FUNGI

Date, Feta, Pomegranate and Marigold Salad

June 7, 2013

When moving to a new flat recently I envisaged the shiny new, mahoosive balcony as a lush urban garden, flourishing verdant green with bush upon bushy bushel of salad leaves, herbs, courgettes, beans, basically anything I could get to grow vertically; anything that would crawl, climb or thrive in a pot. The only flowers I’d allow would be my favourite sweet peas, the odd geranium, a clematis or four and and…okay so I wanted everything.

I’ve managed to cultivate the sweet peas, the geraniums (already here) and a dying clematis. Some herbs are flourishing, albeit left field ones, like wormwood (absinthe) which is bitter but rather tasty in many things including, surprisingly, hollandaise. The vegetables, well, not so much action on that front. Some lettuces are doing well. Ummmm. Hmmm. So as I sat pondering this state of affairs from my makeshift office/boot camp (I’m currently working 12 + hour days – get the tiny violins out), it struck me that there was one more thing that could be eaten – the marigolds. I was damn well going to get a meal out of this balcony.

The basis of this salad is herbs. Recently I’ve been taking the approach to herb usage seen in countries such as Iran and Georgia, by which I mean I’ve been using them basically like salad leaves. See below a salad of mint, parsley and dill with asparagus. We ate it with lamb chops rubbed with za’atar, Turkish chilli and garlic, sprinkled with radishes.

For the marigold salad I used mint and parsley, tossed with pieces of fried flat bread, red onion slivers, sliced dates, pomegranate seeds and feta. The marigold petals have a slight peppery heat, but mainly they just look gorgeous. It’s a festival of sweetness from the fruit, against salty feta. The dressing has it going on too – olive oil mixed with viscous date syrup, balanced with acidity. It’s a lesson in the power of contrasts basically, and darn if it doesn’t look purdy.

Date, Feta, Pomegranate and Marigold Salad Recipe

(serves 4 as a side salad, 2 as a main)

1 handful of mint leaves, picked, although leave some in sprigs
1 handful parsley leaves, picked,  same as above
A few crunchy lettuce leaves like little gem or romaine, shredded roughly
150g feta cheese (proper feta cheese)
8 dates, pitted and each cut into a few pieces
1 small red onion, finely sliced
1 small pomegranate, seeds removed (the easiest way to do this is to halve it, then smack each half on the skin side with a wooden spoon, working your way around until the seeds come out. Wear an apron. Pick out any white pithy bits)
1 flatbread, or one large pitta bread or similar
The petals from 1 marigold (optional, obviously), picked and really, really thoroughly washed (the bugs LOVE them)

For the dressing

4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons date syrup
1.5 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Cut the flatbread into squares and fry it gently in a little oil until crisp. Set aside on kitchen paper.

On a large serving plate arrange the lettuce, mint and parsley leaves. In another bowl, combine the dates, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese and red onion. Add the flatbread pieces and mix well.

Combine the dressing ingredients and whisk to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.

Arrange the cheesy fruit mixture on top of the herbs, and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle over the marigold petals, and serve.

• Reply Alicia (foodycat) June 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

What a wonderful combination! So many flavours!

Reply Helen June 7, 2013 at 11:39 am

Yeah it’s all about he contrasts. It survived surprisingly well until the next day too, considering the bread element.

• Reply Lizzie June 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm

It looks loooovely.

I am also a huge fan of herb-heavy salads – tabbouleh is a favourite, and I recently had a Yunnan mint salad which was made up of only mint leaves and the dressing. My breath was delightful.

Reply Helen June 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm

LOVE tabbouleh, although I’ve had to give it a rest since going on a massive binge. I’m surprised South London had any parsley left to be honest.

• Reply Mark June 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Don’t forget the noble Nasturtium. Great in salads…but maybe not so good as a balcony plant?

Reply Helen June 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Love a nasturtium! Problem is I er, don’t have any growing on my balcony.

• Reply Fiona June 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

Nasturtiums brilliant but still growing – another month or so & then here comes floral sunshine! Love the recipes & pics above.

Reply Helen June 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Fiona

• Reply Ed June 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Looks lush. And purdy. Will the flowers and herbs survive the cats?…

Reply Helen June 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm

We’ve just let them out on the balcony. Well, Donald did. It’s only a matter of time…COME AND SEE THEM!

• Reply Susan June 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Ah, so beautiful, and the recipe reads “delicious.”

• Reply Jill Riter June 9, 2013 at 10:44 am

Beautiful!

• Reply John Gionleka June 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I will be darned if this love of the Oriental doesn’t come more naturally to Helen than to Ottolenghi. The not so humble date is revered in the Middle East and I am willing to wager its what wily Moses palmed off to his followers as manna from Heaven. That this great looking salad should be conceived in Peckham (almost) and not in Islington is as it should be. Guardian, are you watching?

Reply Helen June 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

Much more at home in Peckham! (Almost). Ottolenghi copied me anyway, everyone knows it.

• Reply Scrumptious Scran June 20, 2013 at 8:09 am

That does look truly delicious. I hadn’t given much thought to using flowers in cooking until I recently dined at a restaurant in Edinburgh – the Edinburgh Larder – where petals were integral to a couple of dishes, and not just for adornment.

Very tempted to give your recipe a go, just have to think about where I can source the marigolds…

Reply Helen June 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

Ah yes, if you don’t have them growing in your garden then it’s not too practical. Might be worth just having fun with any other edible flowers you have available rather than going really out of your way to find marigolds.