SANDWICHES

Fool’s Gold Loaf

May 13, 2013

It’s National Sandwich week, so obviously I’m all over that like ketchup on a chip butty. Or brown sauce if you’re, you know, NORMAL.

Anyway it seemed only right to honour the week with some sandwich bits and bobs so today I give you a recipe for what is a frankly outrageous piece of work – The Fool’s Gold Loaf. Made famous by Elvis ‘The King’ Presley, and taking its name from the reportedly stupendous price tag of $49.95. The story goes that Elvis would travel miles to eat this sandwich at the restaurant where it was invented, a joint called ‘The Colorado Mine Company’, in Denver. It’s said in fact that Elvis once flew his guests in from Memphis on his private jet just so they could eat it.

In true Elvis style this sandwich is a vision of excess – an entire loaf, hollowed out and filled with a jar (yes a jar) of peanut butter, followed by a jar (yes a jar) of grape jam, followed by a substantial amount (you get the idea) of crisp grilled bacon.

The combinations may sound odd, but the mixture of salty and sweet flavours isn’t that far out there; think bacon and maple syrup on waffles, or salted caramel ice cream. That said, I’ve never known a sandwich to elicit such a wide range of noises from people when eaten – a mixture of ‘mmm this is tasty’ plus ‘wow, this is wrong’ but ‘mmm this is tasty’; once you’ve had one bite, it’s  difficult to resist taking another.

This sandwich serves one, if you’ve the appetite of Elvis. It will serve approximately 8 ‘normal’ people however. Uh-huh.

Fool’s Gold Loaf

1 x approximately 11 x 4” white loaf
450g streaky bacon
250g smooth peanut butter
250g grape, blackcurrant, blueberry or plum jam
Butter, for spreading on the loaf

Preheat the oven to 150C.

Cut the loaf in half lengthways, leaving a little more thickness to the bottom half. Remove most of the crumb from the inside of each half, leaving a thickness of a couple of centimetres (or as much as you like). Spread each half with butter, inside and out.

Place the two halves on a baking tray and bake until toasted and lightly golden all
over (approx. 15 minutes).

While the bread is toasting, grill the bacon until crisp.

Spread the bottom half of the loaf with the peanut butter, then layer on the bacon. Spread the top half with the jam and sandwich together. Cut into slices to serve.

• Reply Donald May 13, 2013 at 10:02 am

Filthy sandwich, one that I still get uncomfortably ambiguous nightmares about. So wrong and yet also so tasty.

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 10:02 am

Difficult to stop eating it…the guilt! The shame!

• Reply Kerry May 13, 2013 at 10:16 am

Oh my god, this looks amazing. Terrible. I can’t decide. Wow.

• Reply Jonathan May 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

Filth. Pure, wonderful, filth.

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 11:50 am

I knew you would appreciate this, Jonathan. Got any good sarnies lined up for sandwich week?

• Reply Shed May 13, 2013 at 1:15 pm

You hoe bags.

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

You know it.

• Reply Catherine May 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Did you use the grape jam? I like the Welch’s grape juice you can get here, but never cared for the grape jam, even though it was in every family’s cupboards in the US. I prefer strawberry or raspberry with my peanut butter.

I now have a new way of cooking bacon – in the oven. Use parchment paper or foil, and cook for about 15-20 minutes at 400. So easy, and no splatters like when you do it on the hob, or even under grill.

Found the recipe via Ina Garten site.

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Nope! Tried Whole Foods, Fortnum and Mason, Selfridge’s. Nowhere had any and the supermarkets only stock the one swirled with peanut butter!

• Reply Donald May 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I’ve never tried grape jelly and I was really hoping to find some, quite disappointed when we couldn’t find any…

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Very disappointing indeed.

• Reply Lizzie May 13, 2013 at 5:01 pm

TOTAL FILTH. Looks amazing, obvs.

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Yep. MEGA FILTH. Tasty.

• Reply Danka May 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I should have never clicked the link to this post on Bloglovin. Or at least waited until my local shop opens. Need. This. Now.

Reply Helen May 13, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Ha ha! One should always keep a stash of peanut butter and bacon in the fridge, just in case…

• Reply Y May 14, 2013 at 3:49 am

Whoa. Not being much of a pb&j kind of person though, I feel a bit sad for the bacon.

Reply Helen May 14, 2013 at 8:21 am

Aww poor bacon! I’m not either to be honest. I’d never eat a PB & J sandwich but I do these things all in the name of sandwich research!

• Reply Jess May 14, 2013 at 10:31 am

One word. AMAZING.

Reply Helen May 14, 2013 at 10:41 am

I must say I’m constantly surprised this has had such a positive reaction!

• Reply Catherine May 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I wonder if Panzer deli might stock the grape jelly. It’s made with Concord grapes; don’t think they are even stocked in this country. Panzer is very near the American school in St. Johns Wood and cater for that population They used to have a lot of weird American cereals when I first came here, like Lucky Charms.

Reply Helen May 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Lucky Charms are the sweetest thing in the entire world! They made my teeth hurt. I think the best bet for anyone who is organised would be to order from Amazon maybe.

• Reply Toast and Butter May 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm

What a dirtbag of a sandwich. Careful – Elvis might resurface out of his grave…

Reply Helen May 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm

If anything could raise him…

• Reply Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) May 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

So weird! I could not handle that much jam. I thought his signature sandwich had bananas in it?

Reply Helen May 16, 2013 at 2:40 pm

You are thinking of ‘The Elvis’ – that’s peanut butter, bacon and banana. This is a different one.

• Reply Christina May 25, 2013 at 2:06 am

Greetings from ‘merica: I wish you knew how excited I am about seeing this sandwich! Many moons ago, I had an instructor who used to frequent this joint when elvis would famously fly in for his sandwich. I had forgotten the name of the place and the sandwich but have been searching for years, thank you. I am willing to send you a bottle of concord grape, but fyi-a majority of them contain corn syrup, it is very hard to find ones that don’t have that ingredient in it.

Reply Helen May 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm

How brilliant! I’m so pleased I helped you find the name of this filth bomb. A jar of grape jelly would be fabulous!

• Reply Rebecca May 27, 2013 at 6:10 pm

oh my effing god! just made this and it fully lived up to expectations. THANK YOU

Reply Helen May 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Ha ha! Awesome. It’s a tasty bit of filth to be sure.

• Reply web hosting August 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

When I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment. There has to be a way you are able to remove me from that service? Thank you!|

Reply Helen August 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

Not that I’m aware of, no. There should be an option at the bottom of the e-mail for you to un-subscribe. Click it.

• Reply Melanie July 31, 2015 at 2:02 pm

My family grew up earing variations of peanut butter sandwiches (10 kids-me and 9 siblings), and PB and bacon sandwiches were one of them. Also, PB and bananas, PB and some fluffy marshmallow spread (can’t remember name of it), and basic PB and jelly (grape, strawberry, or apple usually). Also, as a snack, very sharp cheddar with grape jelly on saltine crackers. That all is very fattening, but we were very active kids and lived in the country, plus we ate hardly any processed food, no chocolate bars or soda, etc. My dad kept a bushel basket of cucumbers right by the back door, so when we came home from school, we’d grab a cucumber, peel it, salt it, eat it. That was our candy bar. To drink, gallons of fresh milk, water, and ice tea (all cheap). We’d save found loose change and a few times a year, split a rootbeer between app every three of us.

This sandwich looks ferocious though!

• Reply Melanie August 2, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Ah, just checked-the marshmallow spread was called “Jet Puffed” and the PB and marshmallow creme sandwich is called a “fluffernutter”. So now I know.

Reply Helen August 3, 2015 at 8:09 am

I have a recipe for a fluffernutter in my sandwich book :)