Rum & Raisin Ice Cream with Banana Bread Chunks

July 25, 2012

Rum n Raisin Ice Cream with Banana Bread Chunks

The old school ice cream flavours are the best. Mint choc chip, raspberry ripple, tutti frutti. I have a particularly soft spot for rum and raisin though, probably because it contains BOOZE. Flavours like R & R are rarely seen in the shops nowadays, bullied off the shelves by the likes of that total whorebag ‘chocolate fudge brownie’ and tacky slapper ‘cherry garcia’.

I had to make some proper rum and raisin at home and I had to make it gooood. I started by looking into rum. Spiced rum. I’ve never really been much of a rum drinker to be honest so I asked around and Kraken seemed popular with those in the know. The bottle is also pretty damn cool…

So it tastes like er, spiced rum; cloves, allspice, bit of cinnamon. It also has quite a strong caramel flavour which I find rather unpleasant to drink but which works well in ice cream. I thought I’d added too much in the first batch but actually the flavour rounded out after a couple of days and I decided to stick with it. I wanted as much rum in the mix as possible, basically. What I did do the first time however was add too many raisins. I told my friend about this and he just tutted loudly and said ‘huh, classic mistake’ in a disdainful manner. He was right of course, which is what made it so annoying.

Anyway, I made another batch and it kicked ass so, HA. What really makes this ice cream the shiz however is the banana bread chunks. I was gifted a piece of banana bread by my mates who were basically trying to offload all the food in their cupboard before going on holiday. On a whim I broke it up, chucked it in the ice cream maker and churned it very briefly in the hope it would somewhat resemble cookie dough in texture, rather than disintegrate into a thousand bits of grit. As it turned out my recklessness (I really know how to live) was rewarded with lovely gooey squidgy pieces.

I’ve been knocking back bowls of this but I’ve still got loads left and I’m wondering what to do with it. Ice cream sandwiches with wafers are definitely on the cards and I spent a good half an hour on the 185 to Catford contemplating the idea of wrapping banana bread around the outside to make a kind of pimped arctic roll. I want to spend my days playing around with custard, booze and fruit, basically. I think that’s an entirely reasonable use of my time.

Rum and Raisin Ice Cream with Banana Bread Chunks

150ml Kraken spiced black rum
75g raisins
8 egg yolks (yep)
200g caster sugar
400ml full fat milk
400ml double cream
1 piece orange peel
150g banana bread
A pinch of salt

Put the raisins in a small pan with the rum and warm them through gently. Set them aside in a bowl to let them get on with plumping up.

Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. In a saucepan bring the milk, salt and orange peel almost to the boil. Don’t let it actually boil. Pour this on to the egg yolks, whisking really well at the same time.

Return this mixture to the heat. Add the cream, rum and the raisins. Cook this over a low heat, stirring gently and scraping the bottom of the pan. Keep the heat low and remain patient until the custard begins to thicken. It is ready when the custard coats the back of a spoon. This happens at 80C. With hindsight, it might be easier to separate the rum and raisins and add the raisins towards the end of churning, particularly if you are not familiar with making custard as the raisins make it harder to judge when it is starting to thicken.

Set the custard aside in a bowl and cover it to stop a skin forming. Let this cool completely then ideally refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Discard the orange zest.

Churn in an ice cream maker. Towards the end of churning, add the banana bread chunks, mix very briefly, then freeze.

• Reply chloe July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

The banana bread is stroke of absolute genius. Oh, and DEEP FRY IT.

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

ha ha ha ha ha ha how did I know you were going to suggest that?

• Reply Shu Han July 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

everything about this sounds just perfect. ice cream, the rum, not just banana but banana bread chunks. arghhh torture.

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

he he, glad you like the sound of it, sorry to have tortured…. (not really)

• Reply Lizzie July 25, 2012 at 11:52 am

I don’t like bananas but for some reason I bloody love banana bread. It sounds like the perfect addition to something rummy. Mmmm rum.

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 11:52 am

SAME. Nothing worse than a really ripe banana! Sick (in a bad way)

• Reply Russ July 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

Another winner! On the subject of combining fruit, booze & ice cream I was just reading about some Belgian place in NYC that uses Lindemans Framboise in their Raspberry flavour. Interesting…

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Booze and ice cream is the bomb. I also make a mean margarita sorbet which I should get around to posting.

• Reply Gene July 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I like chunks of cake folded into ice cream! It’s a nice textural contrast to the ice cream itself and booze, well, it always adds something to the party, doesn’t it?

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yes, particularly my parties

• Reply Ed July 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

You know it’s finally summer when the polka dot table cloth comes out … 😉

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Ha ha! Yeah, you can see I couldn’t be arsed ironing it though

• Reply Luke July 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Sorry, overexcited there.

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm

oh my goodness me OKAY I WILL I WILL I WILL!!

• Reply Kavey July 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I adore rum raisin! I add booze to most of my ice creams as way to keep them soft scoop. I’ve made xmas pudding and brandy ice cream which sort of reminded me of rum raisin. But not rum raisin. Hmmmm.

Reply Helen July 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm

mmm that sounds a bit nice actually. I’m dying to do a malt loaf one…

• Reply Laura@howtocookgoodfood July 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm

What a creation……love it. Now I know what to do with any leftover banana bread which I often make. Wow :))

• Reply adam and theresa July 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Hi Helen, sounds great. Would you object if I veganized this? hahaha..

forgot to say how much I liked your last post on the roti-crawl too. You’re too funny and you know it 😉

Reply Helen July 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm

veganised? Nah sure knock yourself out AHEM. Glad you enjoy the blog 🙂

• Reply Donald Edwards July 28, 2012 at 9:15 am

If you put some on your balcony on a windy day then it might blow chunks onto your patio doors..

• Reply L'atelier des Chefs July 28, 2012 at 10:40 am

If someone who does not usually fancy rum loves this, I think someone who fancies rum terribly such as myself will find this wholly enjoyable. And this is just perfect especially now that it’s all sunny (crossing fingers). This is a winner.

• Reply Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) July 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I LOVE Kraken rum! Also I never liked rum raisin as a kid, but with my 21+ palate now I think I just might…

• Reply Food Urchin August 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Do you use one of those ‘put the bowl in the freezer for 24 hours’ jobbies to make your ice cream?

I do but mine is crap.

Lovely recipe.

Reply Helen August 2, 2012 at 1:24 am

Yesh! The one I have though is very good. Ummm what is it called…oh Cuisinart something or other. I’ll find out and let you know. It’s got like, 3 parts and it’s proper solid and shit!

• Reply Maunika August 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Love rum and raisin ice cream!! I dont really like bananas but just the idea of banana bread sounds amazing. Also a huge fan of spiced rum Helen. My fav has to be Indian rum Old Monk also a mauritian rum called Green Island both amazing in desserts (and to drink!) M x

Reply Helen August 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

OOh I will check them out – I know next to nothing about rum as I said. Thanks M x

• Reply Kim Bee August 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This looks so good. I love ice cream WAY too much.

Reply Helen August 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

You and me both!

• Reply Favourite Table August 23, 2012 at 6:49 am

Love rum and raisin ice cream it was incredible, as were the amuse-bouche offered by the waiter. I loved loved my hanger steak entree and pomegranate drink (The Explosivo).

• Reply Donna Egan August 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I love the idea of the rum raisin with banana bread chunks. I made ice cream sandwiches with banana bread and chocolate ice cream, marshmallows and nuts. Less sophisticated than your version, but also yummy!

• Reply Yannick Boeykens May 30, 2016 at 7:53 am

Wow, I really love the Idea of mixing in Banana Bread! Here in Spain it’s already getting hot and I was desperate for some good homemade ice cream recipes. I will be making this very soon, but maybe I’ll use my banana bread cookies instead of normal banana bread because it gives that cookie dough flavor but it’s still banana bread…could be interesting. If you want to try it sometime, you can use the recipe from my blog
    Rum…banana…ice cream -> HEAVEN! Thank you for this lovely recipe.