GENERAL PECKHAM LOVE PECKHAM SOUTH LONDON

Why I Love Peckham

August 10, 2011

Post Its Peckham

After shops in Peckham were smashed, burned and looted during Monday night’s riots, the people here started sticking post-it notes on the front of a boarded-up Poundland. There are messages about why the people living here love Peckham so much and statements about the strength of our community. I went down to see it this morning and it brought a tear to my eye. This is the reason I love living here: the people. This really sums up our spirit; I’ve never felt more proud. Here are some more pics. I’m really glad someone (other than me) felt moved to mention the food…

Update: The people behind the wall sent a message via Peckham residents association saying, “Poundland replaced their window today but were so touched by the communities work that they paid for a new board to be put over the glass so that the people of Peckham could continue with a new Peace wall. The previous three boards, now all full of amazing post it notes, have been moved to Peckham Library for public display until a more permanent home/exhibition space is found for them.” Check out their website.

• Reply Craftilicious August 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

How nice to see Helen – thanks for sharing it. Hope things are improving this evening – stay safe.
    x

• Reply Jessica August 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Such good sentiment. I live in Dalston and was heartened to see that today things seem to be getting back to normal, and people are planning a sort of ‘thank Turk’ day on Saturday, to say thankyou to the Turkish resteraunt and shop owners who defended Kingsland Road from looters and seemed to have prevented a lot of damage and destruction.

• Reply Steve Fox August 11, 2011 at 6:53 am

Cream rises.

Filth sinks.

Good on ya, Helen.

And keep y’chins up, Peckham.

• Reply Kuechenschabe (= cockroach in English) August 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

Wonderful photos. I thought of you the last days (you are the only person I “know” in London), and I hoped, you feel well. Peckham is extraordinary, Iloved it, when we visited it one year ago.

• Reply Leluu August 11, 2011 at 9:08 am

thank you for the great photos!

• Reply Sharmila August 11, 2011 at 9:16 am

Indeedy – Peckham is a brilliant place that will keep on doing all the amazing stuff it does.

• Reply Yaxdog81 August 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

Heartwarming stuff from my local community. This blog does an excellent job of highlighting the many many wonderful things about our corner of South London. Now, if the mainstream media could pay that same kind of attention we might be onto something.

• Reply Ginandcrumpets August 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hooray for the Peckham love! The Wall of Love gets bigger every time I go past. Proof that the vast majority of us Peckhamites are nice people.

• Reply Leigh August 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

This ‘notice board’ has become one of the iconic positive images to come out of this week’s events and has been a really great advert for our wonderful neck of the woods. Thanks for posting these lovely images.

• Reply Steve Slack August 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

I saw that comment about food and thought it was great that’s one of the things what people wanted to celebrate about life in Peckham.

Great pictures, by the way. I took some as well and have posted them here: http://dulwichonview.org.uk/2011/08/09/why-we-love-peckham/

• Reply Greedy Diva August 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

Such a feel good post! Thanks for sharing these snaps.

• Reply Lizzie August 11, 2011 at 10:58 am

This brought a little tear to my eye. I’m proud to be a neighbour of Peckham.

• Reply Alex Paton August 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Beautiful & heart warming images. I love Peckham too, it always pulls through in the end.

• Reply May August 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm

That’s the spirit!

• Reply Andy August 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

We’ve been following the news here in the States. Your post & pics show once again that most people are basically good. All the best…

• Reply Alice August 11, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Just fantastic to see all that support.

• Reply Richard Westwell August 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

It is the same everywhere, community spirit will overcome the minority idiots, who themselves hopefully will learn about living together!

Stay safe Helen.

• Reply Cassandra August 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm

This is why I loved Peckham too – scary as fireworks landing in our back yard were, it’s just one night…

• Reply Kalyn August 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Love seeing that; thanks for sharing. Hope you are staying safe.

• Reply Beth Follini August 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Wonderful post and photos. I hope you don’t mind but I used one of your photos on my blog – I credited you and your blog of course. (but let me know if you would rather I took the photo off and I will do that ASAP)

Reply Helen August 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hello Beth – of course I don’t mind! Use away.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. They are appreciated. Big Up Peckham!!

• Reply Leigh August 12, 2011 at 9:54 am

Apparently they’ve now moved the Why We Love Peckham board to a permanent place at peckham Library :-)

• Reply Sammy Dee August 12, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hi Helen. Thank you for sharing your photographs with us. I agree with Leigh that “This ‘notice board’ has become one of the iconic positive images to come out of this week’s events”.

It’s touching how much warmth a whole group of strangers can deliver with a simple act of kindness such as this.

I blogged about the riots in Manchester – I live in the city centre but fortunately we stayed safe whilst all the madness was happening around us.

I hope you don’t mind but I borrowed your photo in response to a comment on my blog. I credited to you and your blog of course.

Stay safe. x

• Reply Gary August 12, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Such a heart-warming display of affection for their community

• Reply gastrogeek August 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Really moving stuff. Awesome post x

• Reply annie griffiths August 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I taught in Thomas Calton School Peckham from 1972 til 1984 and have such fond memories of Peckham. Loved it!
    Annie

• Reply olira m etyang August 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm

it is a pity to see all that street action done by our youth! Who will be our next leaders?How will they govern when their time comes?
    Our present leaders should listen to the plight of this young generation and promote harmony love and piece all the time.
    Mombasa-Kenya

• Reply Robert August 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Sweet. It’s good to see despite the riots that most people are good hearted by nature.

• Reply Alix from Holland August 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

Fundamental goodness rules!
    All the sticky note writers: thanks for your courage. Helen, thanks for spreading the words! May you all remain safe and be happy.

• Reply Francesca August 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

How inspiring to read such positive messages after a truly traumatic week. Keep up the fabulous work Peckham and pave the way for the whole of the UK to follow your example.

• Reply Sally - My Custard Pie August 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Great post and pics Helen. I hope your precious corner of London is back to normal soon and this community spirit is not only confined to Peckham.

• Reply Becs@Lay the table August 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Heard about this – how wonderful. Out of great tragedy comes great community.

• Reply bigsands September 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Amazing!! Hope this never happens again. Great post.

• Reply Anonymouse October 24, 2011 at 11:09 am

Great Britain!!
    This is good to See.

• Reply Steelasophical October 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

The human spirit is an amazing thing to behold … the local community came together to Right the Wrongs and to stand united. A year down the line, and lives have started to rebuild .. lessons have been learned .. through adversity, people pull together and they help each other pull through!!