Potato Pizza

September 26, 2010

Potato Pizza

I ate  a potato pizza at The Actress recently. This started a carb binge which shows no signs of letting up. The idea of potato on pizza may seem strange, but it’s a classic Italian topping. No tomato sauce and usually, no cheese. I had to have another. Wafery potato slices received a damn good rubbing with crushed garlic, thyme (in the absence of rosemary) and olive oil. I let them sit while I properly caramelised some red onions; long and slow.

I smeared a thick layer of the gooey onions onto an oil-brushed base, followed by the potato slices, overlapping to form a semi-translucent pattern. Very pretty.

Potato Pizza

The potatoes caramelise in the oven to a highly savoury crust, enhanced with a final sprinkling of rocky salt. The slices crisp and curl at the edges while the overlapping bits maintain some bite.

The best pizzas are topped simply and this is a good example. That said, a little cheese most definitely wouldn’t hurt. I rather like the idea of Josh’s Gorgonzola version.

Potato Pizza

I used this dough recipe as I’ve not come up with a favourite of my own yet. It was fine, not the best I’ve tried but very easy and the results were more than passable. I used half the quantity which made 2 pizzas.

For the topping

3 large potatoes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large sprigs of thyme (leaves stripped). I prefer rosemary to be honest – use about a tablespoon of roughly chopped leaves.
Olive oil
5 very large onions, sliced

Begin by caramelising the onions. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a heavy-based, lidded pan then when hot, add the onions, turn down the heat to the lowest setting, put the lid on and allow to cook gently, stirring every now and then. It will take about an hour for them to become very soft and caramelised.

For the potatoes, either slice them very thinly using a mandoline or use a knife, as I did. You want them as thin as possible otherwise they won’t cook properly in the oven. Mix them really well with the crushed garlic, herbs and a tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and leave until your onions are ready.

Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Preheat a pizza stone too if you have one. You can also use an upside down baking tray, but don’t preheat it.

When ready to assemble the pizza, brush the base with olive oil, then spread a thick layer of the onions on top. Add the potato slices so that they’re slightly overlapping and there are no gaps. Add a little extra sea salt on top of the pizza.

Cook the pizza for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. It’s rather nice with a sharp green salad.

• Reply shayma September 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm

beautiful, i love it. x shayma

• Reply Essex Eating September 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I love potato on pizza, as you say Helen – classic Italian topping. Looks frigging fabulous btw.

• Reply Dave September 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I’ve had potato pizza before, wasn’t that keen on it, but yours looks a lot simpler than the one I had …

• Reply Lizzie September 26, 2010 at 9:18 pm

CARB FEST! Awesome. It looks gorgeous.

• Reply The Graphic Foodie September 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

The secret to any pizza is simplicity which is why potato pizza with rosemary is one of my favourites! Best eaten al taglio in Rome, perched on the edge of some ancient fountain whilst looking at handsome Italian men.

Good stuff!

• Reply Stu_N September 27, 2010 at 11:01 am

You had to post this just when I was thinking of cutting down on carbs, didn’t you?

• Reply Joshua September 27, 2010 at 1:27 pm

A fine idea for a pizza.

I love the colour you got on the edges of some of your spuds.

(You seem to be linking to the comments on my post, as opposed to the post.)

• Reply An American in London September 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

oh yum. You’ve brought back memories of an amazing slice of pizza at the Forno Campo de’Fiori in Rome. The potato slices on the pizza were soft and almost sweet, with a liberal sprinkling of fresh rosemary.

• Reply Craftilicious September 27, 2010 at 2:33 pm

that’s making me so hungry and I’ve only just eaten my lunch……

• Reply Anna Johnston September 28, 2010 at 3:21 am

Had my first potato pizza in Italy & only rarely been able to match the taste, but its a good old carb fest italiany feasty stand by that one.

• Reply Giles October 7, 2010 at 7:51 am

I think alot of salt to get the pototoes to taste would be a good tip too…I think would work ok with Cheese perhaps Moza…

• Reply mandrill January 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I made several different Pizzas for friends and family yesterday. Everything from Turkish lamb Pides to conventional Mozarella Tomato based Pepperoni etc.
    All of them were shocked at how tasty the Onion and potato was. It was undoubtedly the star of the show. Even the kids lapped it up with relish…..And there my daughter always lamenting my use of onion in the past!
    Great recipe.

Reply Helen January 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Mandrill – I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed it – and your daughter! if a recipe can turn a kid around to an ingredient then it’s got to be a winner.