PECKHAM SOUTH LONDON VEGETABLES | FUNGI

Sweetcorn Fritters

September 14, 2010

Corn Fritters

I usually serve these with bacon. It’s sweet n salty amazing. This scotch bonnet salsa is also lovely, but there’s a clear lack of pork in the picture and for that I apologise.

Corn is dirt cheap right now and I constantly hear it begging me to shear it from the cob and fritter the living daylights out of it. The fresh stuff really keeps its succulence but canned and frozen will also work. There are all sorts of things you could add to the mix; Simon suggested cockles, which I’m dying to try. Salt fish is a favourite, if a little more effort. Often though I prefer a simple recipe – a touch of spice, a little spring onion and fresh herbs; it’s all about the corn.

Fiona Beckett asked me to contribute a recipe to her student cooking site, Beyond Baked Beans and so this is it. The recipe is easy, fun to make and when served with bacon and perhaps an egg, one of the best hangover cures known to woman. What more could a student want from a meal? If you can stomach it though, there’s no better accompaniment than an ice cold beer.

Corn Fritters

140g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten with a fork
220ml milk
3 large corn cobs
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3 spring onions, finely sliced
A small handful of fresh herbs, such as mint, coriander or parsley
If you’re not serving this with a hot sauce, try adding a finely chopped red chilli in the batter
Salt and pepper

Vegetable or groundnut oil, for frying

Sift the flour into a large bowl with the baking powder. Pour in the milk and mix well to make a smooth batter.

Remove any outer papery husk and strings from the corn cobs then stand one on its end on a chopping board and carefully run your knife down one side to remove the kernels. Repeat this until all the kernels are stripped off and then add them to the batter. Add the egg, spices and spring onion and season with two large pinches each of salt and pepper.

Heat a 1cm depth of oil in a heavy based frying pan or skillet and wait until it starts shimmering, but not smoking. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drop a tablespoon of the batter into the oil at a time and immediately flatten it out into a round fritter shape. It will take a few minutes to turn golden on the underneath – you can then flip it over and brown the other side. Be wary as the oil will spit a little and splash as you turn them. Set aside to drain of excess oil on kitchen paper then keep warm in an oven on its lowest setting while you make the rest. Don’t be tempted to try and put too many in the pan at once.

Serve with bacon. And perhaps egg. Or anything else you fancy.

• Reply Jonathan September 14, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Nice. Great photos. I particularly like the fact that your rather attractive blue plate keeps making regular appearances. I’m growing rather attached to it.

I can imagine these being very good with some smoked haddock on top – as a bit of a remixed “chowder”.

• Reply Becca Rothwell September 14, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I keep seeing bowls for £1 with 4 or 5 cobs sticking out beckoning to me from the tables outside the shops on my way home, I always feel bad shucking them though when corn on the cob is just so good! But no more, I know what I’ll be cooking next week thanks!

• Reply Katie September 14, 2010 at 9:16 pm

flippin eck this look a bit of alright… my boys are loving sweetcorn right now and this is a great idea for a great lunch for them… cheer Helen!

• Reply Gourmet Chick September 14, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Love corn fritters – Bill Granger in Sydney and Lantana in London do a great version of these – they go well with bacon and a rocket salad as well.

• Reply Anna Johnston September 15, 2010 at 8:40 am

These look pretty nice, liking the little addition of a touch of chilli too.

• Reply Craftilicious September 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

I made these a couple of weeks ago – any tips on stopping the kernals exploiding during cooking? I ended up with a hand that looks like its got measles with all the burn spots from the oil when that happened!

• Reply Martin September 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

Awesome, I’ve a stack of corn waiting for something like this. Friday morning, without a doubt, kick the hangover squarely in the balls.

• Reply Greedy Diva September 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Gorgeous – I love corn fritters, and agree with you that some bacon on the side only improves them (as does a dollop of sour cream). Like Gourmet Chick, I love Lantana’s version, and I think Providores does my favourites (if you can get a seat). Every time I’m back in Melbourne, there’s a cafe I go to about 5/7 mornings especially for these!

• Reply Lizzie September 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I love corn so much, and am a huge fan of the fritter. I must make some ASAP.

• Reply Tv Food and Drink September 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I like the looks of those. I’ve never made fritters before. May just have to give these a shot. Thanks!

• Reply Robert September 16, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I love them with Thai sweet chilli sauce. To make them virtually fat free I used skimmed milk, trimmed bacon and no oil. And fried them on a stone coated frying pan which “fries” without using any fat. Delicious!

• Reply tobias cooks! September 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Love the idea!

• Reply shayma September 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

lack of bacon suits me just fine tee hee
    gorgeous looking fritters- the sort of thing we’d have during tea time in pakistan during the monsoons. like pakoras. love your recipe- shall pass it on to my fam in Lahore- i am sure they will heed to your advice and add in a red chili or two or three into the batter! x shayma