SOUPS

Two Garlic Soup

May 2, 2010

Two Garlic Soup

I actually can’t stop eating outrageous amounts of garlic. One or two cloves is no longer an acceptable amount. The obsession gently rumbles on. In contrast, I like to think that my immune system is racing ahead, building lymphocytes faster than you can say ‘flu’. In reality, rather than glowing with shiny health I’m sure I just gently whiff of garlic. Constantly.

Gorgeous little soup though, even if it is rather rich. I based it on this one but reduced the amount of regular cloves, omitted the sage and added a small handful of the wild garlic I picked at Riverford Farm. The soup is interesting because it goes from looking like hot dishwater with a few pearly cloves bobbing on the bubbles to a creamy, velveteen elixir; pretty amazing considering it doesn’t contain even the merest smidgen of cream. It is instead enriched with the rather wanky sounding ‘binding pomade’ – a combination of eggs, Parmesan and olive oil. You slowly whisk the oil into the cheese and amber yolks, then a ladleful of the broth into the ‘pomade’ and then the whole lot back into the broth. It’s really rather a calming and leisurely process. I used the time to reflect on important issues such as where I might have left the key for the bin room, whether it was too early to open a beer or not and when I might find time to make Ottolenghi’s caramelised garlic tart. Actually that last one really is important.

The original recipe suggests pouring the finished soup over day-old pieces of baguette, which I did, but found the combination of rich soup and soggy bread paste rather unpleasant. Really unpleasant, actually. Like eating a piece of sodden bog roll. The second helping was much more enjoyable with a bit of traditional dunking and of course, the terminal wiping of bowl.

It is extremely garlicky but deeply savoury; the wild garlic brings its sprightly green bite. I would advise you to use good Parmesan, as it makes all the difference and a nice grassy olive oil that isn’t too strong. The finished thing is really rather pretty and spring-like I think, with a cheeky richness that makes a stealthy approach, soothing and satisfying with every mouthful.

Two Garlic Soup

(adapted from this recipe)

950ml water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt

For binding

1 egg
2 egg yolks
40g parmesan
Pepper (white might be nice actually)
50ml olive oil

Bring the water to a boil in a pan and add the thyme, bay leaf, garlic cloves and salt. Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 40 minutes. Strain into a bowl, then remove and discard the bay leaf and return the garlic and the infused water back to the pan but off the heat. Taste and add more salt if you like but remember the Parmesan is coming later.

Whisk the egg, the yolks, Parmesan and pepper together until creamy. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly, as if you were making mayonnaise. Then, take a ladleful of the broth and do the same, whisking it really slowly into the oil mixture. Now tip the whole thing into the remaining broth in the pan and set over a low to medium heat, stirring all the time until it starts to thicken. Heidi mentions in her recipe that the creator of the original recipe, Richard Olney, says that it should be cooked, “just long enough to be no longer watery” but I agree with her that it is nicer when it’s a bit thicker.

Serve over bread or not – up to you. I prefer it not. I drizzled a bit more oil and grated a little extra cheese on top.

Other garlicky goodness:

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic
Garlic Curry

• Reply Kavey May 2, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Oh oh that does look good.

• Reply Tweets that mention Two Garlic Soup — Food Stories -- Topsy.com May 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by FoodStories and Lynne Clark, Terence Carter. Terence Carter said: RT @FoodStories: New blog post: Two Garlic Soup http://bit.ly/dzj3nj […]

• Reply Kerri May 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

This sounds lovely. I’m planning a wild garlic soup today too and you’ve got me wondering whether I should add some ordinary garlic too.

• Reply Dana May 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Well is this gorgeous enough? Brilliant.

• Reply Katrina May 2, 2010 at 3:00 pm

wow that looks amazing!

btw Helen, I’ll be in London the 5th-6th of May… if you’re free to grab a bite, let me know! (: klam1311@gmail.com

• Reply Caroline - Sugargrain May 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm

This looks yum and reminds of of a conversation I had recently – I offered a brownie to one of the set up crew at Covent Garden market on Sat and he held his head moaning “no, thanks, I need, I want, I must have Garlic Soup – nothing else will do!”

It’s the cure for all evils in the Czech Republic he tells me, particularly hangovers – he recommended it with fried pieces of bread on top.

I must point him in your direction for future nursing.

• Reply The London Foodie May 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Wow, how amazing, love the look of that soup. In Brazil we have “fried garlic pizza”, it is fantastic – a whole layer of fried thin slivers of garlic over melting mozzarella cheese, it is soooo good!!

• Reply Tv Food and Drink May 2, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Great post. What is a bin room?

• Reply johanna May 3, 2010 at 1:12 am

wow..you can go to riverford and pick your own? i have been ordering two bags of wild garlic from them for almost two months now and used them in everything from toasted sourdough with butter, a potato and nettle gratin, bruschette, soup, spring greens, you name it… i haven’t yet tried a cake, but with my level of addiction constantly rising, it won’t be very long ;-~)

• Reply Tweets that mention Two Garlic Soup — Food Stories -- Topsy.com May 3, 2010 at 1:34 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by FoodStories, Lynne Clark, Dana Tommasino, Lara & Terry, Terence Carter and others. Terence Carter said: RT @FoodStories: New blog post: Two Garlic Soup http://bit.ly/dzj3nj […]

Reply Helen May 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

TV Food and Drink – It’s a room with bins in it. In our block of flats all the bins are kept in this one room outside. It smells bad.

Johanna – I’m not sure if you can pick your own, no. This was part of a tour we had so we got to do some picking while we were there. They do have a shop there though.

• Reply shayma May 3, 2010 at 3:50 pm

that looks and sounds really, really good. helen- have the exact same bowls in our home. x shayma

• Reply Food Urchin May 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

Once again, I’ve had a heap of wild garlic spring up in my garden and I really have done bugger all with mine. This soup looks lovely, will definitely be giving that a go.

• Reply Gourmet Chick May 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I really want to make that Ottolenghi tart as well it sounds brilliant in its simplicity

• Reply George@CulinaryTravels May 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Oh my this looks lovely, and, I have a huge bunch of wild garlic screaming out to be used … perfect opportunity.

• Reply Sarah Chambers May 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Hi Helen, this sounds fantastic and my other half absolutely loves garlic (he’s always nibbling raw bits while I’m trying to cook!) so I will definitely have to give this a whirl. Or, even better I may pass on to him so he can cook for me! :0)

I’d also like to flag up this month’s Grantourismo blogging competition to you too, as the theme for May is ‘Food & Travel’, so I thought you may like to enter. There are lots of fab prizes on offer, including a stay in a property of your choice from our site. You can find full instructions, terms, conditions and prize details here: http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/05/05/grantourismo-travel-blogging-competition-may/

Sarah

• Reply I Sicilian May 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm

This is definitely the type of soup that would come out of my kitchen. I will for sure try it. it sounds so delicious. Also love your rhubarb ice cream. That one is on my waiting list. Let you know how it turned out.

• Reply Lizzie May 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I thought I smelled a whiff of garlic blowing over from Peckham. It looks delicious.

• Reply Ostend June 11, 2010 at 11:43 am

It impressed me. If you can do a youtube video for it. That would be nicer. 🙂

• Reply lampard January 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the Method Two Garlic Soup.