Chorizo-stuffed Squid

March 17, 2010

Chorizo Stuffed Squid

Is it time to get the BBQ out yet? Is it is it is it? No?

As much as I enjoy the odd winter BBQ, the novelty is starting to wear off. I want to feel the sun beating down on my back and the fierce heat of the grill on my face, knowing that within arms reach is the sweet salvation of an ice cold beer. I look forward to the British summer with the same fierce optimism every year; this time it’s going to be a corker, trust me.

Stuffed squid are perfect for the BBQ but in the meantime we’re OK because they also taste great cooked indoors.

Two points to remember with stuffed squids – firstly, make sure they are medium sized, not great hulking monsters and secondly, don’t overstuff. As we all know you either cook squid very fast or long and slow; you don’t want them too big or else the squid will be done before the stuffing is warmed through. They also shrink a bit as they cook so don’t pack them denser than a gap year students’ rucksack, or they’ll burst.

Chorizo Stuffing

Apart from that it’s child’s play. I’ve made these with cooking chorizo and the cured kind and both are delicious, although I think I prefer cured, as it holds its shape giving you something to really bite down on, each paprika stained nugget exploding with flavour. Ask me tomorrow and I might prefer the alternative.Β  A sharp, lemon dressed salad is the perfect accompaniment and if it’s summer and you’re living the dream, so is an ice cold beer.

Chorizo Stuffed Squid

The amount of stuffing you use of course depends on the size of your squid. I used two medium sized squids. Make sure they are well cleaned before you begin. If you use fresh squid then make sure to keep those tentacles for an extra treat.

I used about 150g cooked (and cooled) rice mixed with 250g chopped, cured chorizo sausage, 1 small softened onion and a large handful of finely chopped parsley leaves. I seasoned this with black pepper and stuffed inside the squid, securing with cocktail sticks.Make 3-4 deep slashes in the flesh of the squid – this will help the heat to get all the way through.

When ready to cook the squid, oil them on the outside then season with salt and pepper. You can either grill them on the BBQ – about 4-5 minutes or pan fry them or griddle them indoors. Check they are hot all the way through using a skewer and serve with a lemon scented salad.

• Reply Jones March 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm

god that looks good, that second photo’s ace. I really like cooking squid, feels like proper cooking somehow..

Love your optimism about the summer πŸ˜‰

• Reply Fiona Beckett March 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm

If I wasn’t already stuffed to the gills (with a strange but curiously satisfying riff on pho) my mouth would be watering. Lovely idea.

• Reply gastrogeek March 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm

these look exsquidite (sorry)- and yeah, I’m bored of winter too, bring on those hot summer’s bbq’s and ice cold beers!

• Reply Lizzie March 17, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Oh HELLO!

I remember your Thai stuffed squid from our winter bbq ’09 – they were so good, and I imagine these were on par with their goodness. Lovely pictures; doesn’t pork go so well with seafood? I cannot WAIT till the summer.

• Reply peter March 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I had something like this at a Tapas resto here in town but you’ve outdone them Helen. Love the slits to reveal the filling!

Reply Helen March 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Jones – Ha! Yes I know what you mean. I think the fact that it needs a bit of prep what with all those dangly bits make you feel a bit more cheffy or whatever…We should always be optimistic about the British summer because really, without that, what have we got?

Fiona – Sounds intriguing! I am SO OVER winter. We’re really starting to thaw now though. I got to work today and realised I could still feel my fingers and toes.

gastrogeek – Thanks! Oh the beer. I’m off it at the moment too (trying to lose the beer belly) but I miss it so. Woe!

Lizzie – Oh yeah, we do like a bit of stuffed squid. We absolutely love a bit of pork and shellfish n all! Amazing how people recoil at the idea.

Reply Helen March 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Peter – Cheers! I love the idea of having lots of baby squids on a tapas plate. The slits do have that added advantage of letting the chorizo juices run out seductively…

• Reply Chris March 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I’ve always thought the one problem with seafood is that there isn’t quite enough pork in it. Problem here solved!

They look great.

• Reply Jonathan March 17, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Marvelous stuff. We had chorizo stuffed squid at Bentley’s but I am sure yours are a lot, lot better. Love the advice about the GAP year student’s ruck sack. But if it was my rucksack they would be bursting open and getting stolen!

• Reply Stephanie March 18, 2010 at 6:02 am

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Pity the sun’s starting to leave us to head your way.

• Reply Manne March 18, 2010 at 1:04 pm

What excellent timing! First barbecue of the year in Peckham on Sunday, planning to make ribs. But now I feel a need to throw a few of these ones on as well…! Thanks for the inspiration. πŸ™‚

// Manne

• Reply The Curious Cat March 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

This looks absolutely mouthwatering…I’m jealous! Truly…

• Reply Sarah, Maison Cupcake March 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm

That I went without lunch is heavily preying on my mind after reading this. Chorizo and squid sound a heavenly pairing.

• Reply chris March 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm

that looks so delicious!

• Reply LexEat March 18, 2010 at 7:50 pm

oh my god! yum!
    I really shouldn’t read your blog just before dinner as it always makes whatever I’m about to eat so disappointing! All I want is squid stuffed with chorizo!

• Reply Trissa March 18, 2010 at 8:48 pm

This – is absolutely gorgeous! Such an inspired idea!

• Reply yuki's kitchen March 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I love squid. I have a lot of Japanese squid recipes.

• Reply Ollie March 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Scrum. Squid and chorizo is one of the world’s most perfect marriages.

• Reply Katrina March 19, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Hi Helen, I had emailed you about meeting in London last month or so!

I haven’t had squid in forever and that looks like a fantastic way to prepare it, never though of stuffing them… especially with chorizo?? yummm <3

• Reply Maninas March 20, 2010 at 9:12 am

It looks great! I’m not a huge fan of squid, but chorizo would make me try it! πŸ˜‰

Reply Helen March 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Chris – Exactly. There are two things one can always try – one is adding pork, the other is deep frying.

Jonathan – oh you are a charmer. I’m blushing.

Stephanie – Well, yes sorry about that but you know, we have suffered! Months with no BBQ!

Manne – Awesome. What time shall I come round?

The Curious Cat – Thanks. There’s only one way to ease your envy and I don’t think I need to spell it out for you.

Sarah – You went without lunch? Are you mad woman?

Chris – Cheers!

LexEat – Aww, very nice of you to say so. Although, I bet your dinners are pretty fine lady.

Trissa – ta very much.

Yuki – Thanks. I’ll check them out.

Ollie – It is, isn’t it? They are hopelessly in love with each other.

Maninas – If in doubt, add pork.

• Reply Manne March 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm

You need to come around just about now. πŸ˜‰

Added zest of one lemon and juice of a half to the mix, and it came out absolutely wonderful.

Had sticky ribs pre cooked for two hours as main attraction but these little babies stole the show!

// Manne

• Reply Su-yin March 20, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I love chorizo, and to stuff it in the squid is pure genius. I will be making this when it gets warmer. πŸ˜€

• Reply mycookinghut March 21, 2010 at 12:47 am

Fantastic looking squids… yum!

• Reply Niamh March 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Oh – how lovely! Very similar to a dish I had when holidaying in Croatia some years ago. Nice and summery. Important to create the illusion in this weather.

• Reply Alex March 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Very cool. Loved theat quote about squid on the programme about Alan Davidson on Beeb 4 last week – they seem to have evolved specifically for cooks to stuff.

• Reply Lucy June 4, 2011 at 12:15 am

Made them after reading this…will be making again..NOM NOM

• Reply Jim D February 7, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Hoping for more comments on finished product.