Steak with Chimichurri

March 2, 2010

When a girl gets gifted with a hefty hunk o’ prime cattle, her thoughts immediately turn to entertaining; a lengthy weekend lunch with mates was on the cards. Picture this: nearest and dearest gathered on sofas with a glass and a smile; the soothing rhythm of contented chatter drifting through the kitchen; me pondering whether or not to give the beef another 10 minutes resting. I imagine myself emerging from the kitchen carrying the magnificent centrepiece to a chorus of ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ and pairs of eyes gleaming with excitement. I’ll be as proud as punch as I set her down on the table and…

…pooff! That was the sound of my dream going up in smoke. We still don’t have a proper dining table and it’s breaking my heart. Our only stand-in is a dainty set of patio furniture which only sits two and well, it’s garden furniture. That only really feels right if you are either a student or it’s Christmas and you need to squeeze in a couple more relatives. So anyway that’s my excuse for two of us eating a piece of meat that could probably serve ten. I’m sticking to it.

I began by cutting off two fat sirloins for Sunday lunch. A ballsy chimichurri filled the craving for something with the invigorating prickle of salsa verde without actually being just that; I seriously need to overcome my addiction to the green mistress. Parsley is still a main contender here, whizzed with a lorra lorra garlic and spiky chilli flakes. A fine way to commence a week of bovine feasting. It’s a tough job, eating all that lovely meat, but someone’s got to do it.

30g parsley leaves (a large handful)
2tsp hot chilli flakes or to taste
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 shallot
Olive oil, to loosen
4 cloves garlic
A sprig of fresh oregano, leaves removed (optional)

Either chop the garlic, parsley, oregano and shallot very fine or whizz in a food processor. Mix in the chilli flakes, vinegar, lime juice and loosen with olive oil to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt. Great with grilled meats and fish.

• Reply Lizzie March 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I feel really sick from over-eating and yet I would still happily scoff that right down. I’ve never had chimichurri before but I know it will be in my future soon.

(Is that salad in the background? I hope there were chips too…)

Reply Helen March 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Lizzie – there were chips! See that beige blob above the fat of the steak? That’s a chip!

• Reply msmarmitelover March 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

I absolutely adore chimi churri. I had the most perfect one in an Argentinian guest house by a Guatamalan river. You could only get there by boat and canoe. We stayed in a little wooden hut. Everybody ate together in the evening with food cooked by the Argentinian host. It’s memories like this that made me start The Underground Restaurant.
    Thanks for the recipe…

• Reply nina March 3, 2010 at 11:10 am

I did not have my chimmichurry sauce in Argentinia but We seldom eat steak without it….your steak is cooked perfectly!!!

• Reply Su-Lin March 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Rrrrrrrrrrr – that looks absolutely gorgeous. What a steak! What a sauce!

Reply Helen March 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

MsMarmiteLover – Well that sounds bloody brilliant. My first experience was nowhere near as exciting as that. I bet that chimchurri would wipe the floor with mine. It would wipe the floor with it just based on the context alone. Thanks for the comment, I am now going to bed to dream of myself floating down a Guatemalan river of chimichurri.

Nina – Thanks. It sounds like a perfect experience doesn’t it? We shall have to make do with our home made versions for now.

Su-Lin – Ha ha, thanks!

• Reply joey March 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Oooh! Love sharp green flavors with steak…looks great!

• Reply peteformation March 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Mmmmm, nice steak…with a tinge of earthy oregano flavour! Good Recipe!

• Reply ginandcrumpets March 4, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Lovely, lovely picture of the steak. It looks perfect.

• Reply Sarah, Maison Cupcake March 5, 2010 at 7:16 am

Looks amazing, pity about the seating arrangements!

• Reply Petra Barran March 5, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Want it! That pic is a sight to behold. Loving your work girlfriend.

Reply Helen March 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Joey – Me too! Salsa verde being my original love.

peteformation – Thanks! Definitely worth putting the oregano in if you can find some fresh.

ginandcrumpets – ta very much. It’s nearly a week later and I want it again.

Sarah – Thank you and yes, it’s a bit of a nightmare. Hopefully one day in the next five years I might be able to afford a table. Oh and some chairs.

Petra – Cheerrrs girlfriend! I think there should be a BBQ on the cards this summer. Maybe on a Brixton or peckham balcony? Oh and that picnic!

• Reply Thomas Andrew March 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Such great recipes on your blog. Your photos are making me so hungry.

• Reply James Ramsden March 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm

My goodness that looks incredible. I’m having that for supper tonight.

Will 2 tsps of chilli flakes not be ball-itchingly hot?

• Reply Annelle March 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm

After seeing the picture, I HAD to have chimichurri (with some nice, rare beef, of course!)…It was delicious! Thank you for the beautiful image and post, and great blog!

Reply Helen March 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Thomas Andrew – Thanks very much. I always make sure to have snacks to hand when reading food blogs πŸ˜‰

James – Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I didn’t find it ball-itchingly hot, but then I don’t have any balls.

Annelle – Excellent! Really glad to enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know too – always nice to hear.

• Reply Dave Fuller March 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Chimi and steak are a match made in heaven …….

I have been enjoying reading your blog whilst in Colombia …

Keep it up

• Reply Jess Shanahan March 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’m made something similar not so long ago. Beautiful. That steak looks cooked to perfection.

Jess, x

• Reply Pirata Ingles March 21, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Amazing photography, good enought to eat! In fact I found both the ledgendary Argy steak and chimi on, has anyone ever ordered form there?

• Reply Marina del Mar March 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Yes, a friend told me about last year and I’ve had the tastiest steaks ever from them. They also sell dry chimiuchurri mix so you can make your own. Once I’ve tried how good these steaks are there’s no going back…

• Reply Brody James May 11, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Beef steak has always been my all time favorite dish and i am always looking for some new recipes that has steak as the main ingredient.”.’