FISH | SEAFOOD SALADS

Rowley Leigh’s Smoked Eel and Bacon Salad

March 3, 2009

Smoked Eel Close

Simon Hopkinson’s ‘Week In Week Out‘ is a strong contender for the title of ‘my favourite cookbook ever’. He makes use of so many ingredients I adore, with recipes that make my heart skip a beat and my thighs quiver in fear every time I look at them. A book for the calorie counter it ain’t. Or the vegetarian. The squeamish can also forget it, as Simon is a huge advocate of nose to tail eating.

I love this salad recipe from the book because I can’t get enough of that rich, oily eel.

Rowley Leigh’s Smoked Eel and Bacon Salad Recipe
(from ‘Week in Week Out’ by Simon Hopkinson)

1 small salad frisee (the inside, yellow bits). I used curly endive
A squeeze of lemon juice and a tiny splash of light olive oil to dress the above
Salt and pepper
200g smoked eel fillets, sliced very lengthways as thinly as possible
8 rashers of smoked, streaky bacon, grilled until crisp
1 heaped tablespoon finely chopped chives

For the beurre blanc
2 shallots, very finely chopped
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 tablespoons white wine
4 tablespoons water
250g very cold, fine quality unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

– Make the beurre blanc: using a small stainless steel or enamelled pan, combine shallots, vinegar, wine and water. Reduce over a very moderate heat until almost no liquid is left. Then, reduce the heat to as low as possible and add the butter one chunk at a time (using a small whisk), until it is all incorporated. It should look like light, slightly jellied custard. Season and keep somewhere warm (but not actually on the heat).
– Separate frisee into thin leaves and dress with the lemon juice, oil and seasoning. Arrange evenly on the plate as a base for the salad.
– Arrange the eel strips on top, the bacon bits around the edge and then spoon the beurre blanc ‘in and around’. Garnish with the chopped chives.

• Reply Fiona Beckett March 3, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Sounds a great recipe. Smoked eel and beetroot are sooo good together and I can imagine them going really well with Gruner Veltliner (Riesling too).

Very good tasting note btw. Yes, flowery is a perfectly acceptable wine tasting term though Gruner is often likened to green pepper and grapefruit. You’ll be doing us wine hacks out of a job in no time 😉

• Reply Fearless Kitchen March 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

This looks delicious. Smoked eel isn’t readily available near me, or at least I haven’t seen it very often, but if I do I’ll know what to make with it!

Fearless Kitchens last blog post..Recipe: Chinese-style Roast Pork

• Reply nina March 3, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Oh wow, perfection on a plate!!!Lovely!

ninas last blog post..Five Spice Chicken with Soba Noodles

• Reply Keri March 3, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I haven’t had smoked eel for ages, I’m not sure if I’ve ever had it at home actually. I really do like it though and this looks great.

We had a Gruner Veltliner with our Thai dish on Sunday and it stood up very well to that, I can imagine it with smoky fish too.

Keris last blog post..Rabbit and Leek Pie

• Reply Y March 4, 2009 at 12:18 am

A thigh quivering inducing cookbook? :)

I love smoked eel.. too bad it’s not terribly common here. That wine sounds lovely!

Ys last blog post..Daring Bakers Challenge : Chocolate Valentino Cake

• Reply The Graphic Foodie March 4, 2009 at 9:15 am

Years ago my uncle used to come down from London (on the train!) with a huge bucket of live eels that he then transfered into our bath until we were ready to cook them for a huge christmas eve family meal. Peering over the side of the bath as a four year old has created an lasting image that has seriously put me off eels for life!

The Graphic Foodies last blog post..REVIEW: The Chilli Pickle, Brighton

• Reply Lizzie March 4, 2009 at 10:00 am

I love smoked eel, we usually have it at Christmas as it’s rather indulgent. This sounds like a nice simple recipe to really let the eel shine through; the lasagne I made recently was derived from a Rowley Leigh recipe and it really impressed me.

Lizzies last blog post..Intermission

• Reply Peter March 4, 2009 at 2:35 pm

It’s a pity people are put off on eel because it looks snake-like when it’s a fish.

Smoked anything is high on my list, this salad is divine!

• Reply Ros March 4, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I need to try eel again. I had a bad experience with jellied eels in a dodgy pie and mash shop on the Goldhawk Road a few years ago and thought that eels made me wretch.

From your photo I can see these eels are quite different from the ones I bought so I will keep an eye out for them.

Ross last blog post..I Can’t Believe It

• Reply JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen March 4, 2009 at 8:56 pm

This looks really really delicious! I am a huge fan of smoked eel as sushi, but I have never had it any other way – I have never really seen it any other way…man am I missing out!

JennDZ_The LeftoverQueens last blog post..Sweet and Tangy Stewed Pork Country Ribs… in a Tagine

• Reply Chuck March 7, 2009 at 4:33 am

I had eel for the first time myself while on vacation in New Orleans and I loved it. Now I have a recipe to make it myself. Thank you!

Chucks last blog post..Caramelized Black Walnut Bread Recipe

• Reply aforkfulofspaghetti March 7, 2009 at 11:54 am

Oh yum. I love somked eel. First tried it years ago in Alastair Little’s restaurant, and have been hooked ever since! This salad sounds very tasty – if only we could have some rather more summery weather to go with it!

aforkfulofspaghettis last blog post..a poorly computer… and – coming very soon…

• Reply Gourmet Chick March 11, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I love the look of this – it looks so fresh and light but also comforting at the same time.

Gourmet Chicks last blog post..Tsuru