CONDIMENTS | SAUCES | DIPS | MEZE MEAT RECIPES

Steak with Salsa Verde

November 6, 2008

Steak with Salsa Verde

If I had to choose a ‘favourite meal’, steak with salsa verde would most definitely be up there – top 3. A well-hung  piece of meat which is dark, flavourful, the flesh marbled with fat. Yes please.

I remember the first time I tasted salsa verde. A summers day and one of my mum’s perfect summer meals. Roast chicken, slathered with herbs and butter. Broad beans with bacon and herby vinaigrette and new potatoes, glistening and flecked green with the salsa. I still make that meal to this day.

Salsa Verde Recipe

Small handful each capers and cornichons
1-2 cloves garlic
5-6 anchovy fillets (brown, salty kind)
Large handful flatleaf parsley, leaves picked
Slightly smaller handful each basil and mint
1 level tablespoon mustard (I used wholegrain but dijon is better)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
8 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper

– The key is to chop everything really finely, then put in a bowl before adding the mustard, pepper and vinegar. Then stir in the oil. If you find it too tangy or have a less than great red wine vinegar, try adding a little sugar.

• Reply Jess November 6, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Chillies are looking good! I’m so pleased you liked them, really hope you grow some new ones.

Steak and salsa looks fantastic, I’m definitely going to try 🙂

• Reply Michele November 6, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Your steak looks divine! It also happens to be one of my favorites. Never tried it with salsa verde…but I’ll be trying it that way next time after reading your description.

Micheles last blog post..I Just Can’t Help Myself

• Reply Mike November 6, 2008 at 9:18 pm

I love the chili photos! And I’d never had a salsa verde like this (I was thinking tomatillos), but this also sounds like it would be a delicious way to compliment that meat

Mikes last blog post..Kona Kampachi in Cognac Cream Sauce

• Reply Peter G November 6, 2008 at 11:30 pm

The salsa verdes I have tasted in the past really didn’t leave much of an impression on me Helen. But yours looks really refreshing and quite simple…Must def try it this coming summer here in Sydney.

Peter Gs last blog post..Fresh Ricotta with Warm Honey and Cinnamon

• Reply Peter November 7, 2008 at 3:24 am

A fine looking steak and the right “pink” ya got there. I believes meat eaters are happier,really I do.

• Reply Jeanne November 7, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Salsa verde is wonderful, isn’t it? As is that gorgeous piece of meat! I’m feeling a bit spoilt after Chicago where ALL the meat was outstanding… And I saw on Chris’s blog that you won the chilli cook-off – well done you! I’m sorry I missed it but I had a standing early appointment with my bed every evening that week 😉

Jeannes last blog post..Go with gourd – the WTSIM#20 round-up

• Reply kittie November 7, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Those chillies look fantastic!

Your salsa verde looks like such a perfect accompaniment to that gorgeously cooked steak!

kitties last blog post..Smoked Haddock with Welsh Rarebit

• Reply JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen November 7, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I love green sauces with meat – like chimichuri, or salsa verde – such a great combination!

Happy Anniversary!

JennDZ_The LeftoverQueens last blog post..Great Green North Chronicles: The Importance of Eating Locally

Reply Helen November 7, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Jess – Thank you again, I was very touched.
    Michele – Please, please try it!
    Mike – And I’ve never had a tomatillo!
    Peter G- Yes, it is a great dish for the summer.
    Jeanne – Thanks, I was rather chuffed with myself! It’s a shame you didn’t make it down but I understand the need for your bed, even though it did happen in the middle of the day 😉 Hopefully we will get the chance to chat again soon 🙂
    Kittie – Thank you, they sure are some fine chillies.
    Jenn – ooh yes, chimichuri – yum! And thank you for the anniversary congratulations!

• Reply Ginger November 7, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I love salsa verde and keep meaning to try it with steak but haven’t gotten around to it. It’s such a versatile dressing, I love it with fish too.

Gingers last blog post..Roasted Vegetable Lasagne

• Reply Joie de vivre November 7, 2008 at 9:52 pm

This salsa verde sounds so interesting. I was like Mike and thought of it with tomatillos. I bet the anchovies make it wonderful.

Joie de vivres last blog post..Election Day Dinner – 2 days late!

• Reply We Are Never Full November 9, 2008 at 1:06 am

salsa verde is one of the best (and easiest to make!) meat-toppers ever. we love ours over some roasted pork. love the addition of cornichons.

• Reply Manggy November 9, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Hey, you might be converting one more person to salsa verde– me! 🙂 It looks really great when finely minced– I imagine it would be quite dark/black if mashed up in the processor.

Manggys last blog post..Panna Cotta Tart with Cocoa Glaze

• Reply Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,Chewy November 9, 2008 at 7:09 pm

What a gorgeous hunk of meat! The salsa is the perfect complement to it too! That is my idea of a favorite meal too. Well done!

Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,Chewys last blog post..TWD: Rugelach

• Reply kookie in london September 29, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Sounds like a fine anniversary to me! Where did you get your steak?

• Reply babs March 14, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Is there anything that you could use instead of anchovies?

Reply Helen March 15, 2011 at 8:45 am

Babs – You could just leave them out but you might want to add a little salt.

• Reply babs March 15, 2011 at 10:52 am