MEAT

Rabbit Lasagne with Mushrooms and Sage Bechamel

September 12, 2008

This is rich and deeply comforting. Each pasta layer is cloaked in a dreamy sage-scented bechamel. Roll on autumn, I’m ready!

Rabbit Lasagne Recipe

200g wild mushrooms
6 ripe tomatoes, de-seeded (and skinned if you like) and roughly chopped

For the sauce

400ml milk
50g butter
50g flour
Parmesan, grated (a good handful, or to taste)
2 tablespoons chopped sage
salt and pepper

Cheddar cheese, for grating
Lasagne sheets

– Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
– Heat some oil in a pan – 3-4 tablespoons (I like to use a roasting tray which I put directly onto the stove top and then transfer to the oven later). Add the rabbit pieces and cook on a high heat until browned on all sides. Remove the rabbit pieces and set aside.
– Add the onions, garlic to the pan and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring.
– Add the wine, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme, cook for a minute, then add back the rabbit pieces. Add the stock, cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and set the rabbit pieces aside.
– Remove the thyme and bay leaves form the pan, then reduce until thickened by approximately half. During this time, shred the rabbit meat from the bones, then add back to the sauce along with the mushrooms and parsley.

For the bechamel

– Bring the milk to almost boiling then set aside.
– Melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour and stir vigorously to form a roux. Add a little of the milk at a time until all the milk is incorporated, stirring constantly.
– Add the parmesan and stir to combine before adding the sage and seasoning.

Assembly

– Turn the oven to 180C/350F
– Rabbit mixture, lasagne sheets, bechamel, rabbit mixture, lasagne, bechamel etc. Grated cheese on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Meat Stock Recipe

4 medium meat bones
1 carrot
1 stick celery, in quarters
1 onion, halved
2 juniper berries
4 peppercorns
Pinch salt
2 bay leaves

– Roast the bones and vegetables for 30-40 minutes in a 230C/450F oven.
– Remove and add to a stock pot along with 3 litres water, bring to the boil then simmer for 1.5-2 hours, removing the scum every now and then. Drain through a sieve. Cool and freeze until needed. It will keep for a month or so.

• Reply kittie September 12, 2008 at 10:18 am

Wonderful! I’ve never cooked with rabbit before, but am eagerly awaiting their season! My butcher reckoned September time for the good uns – I might pay him a visit on the way home after work!!!

kitties last blog post..Scottish Scran 4: Mum’s Steak Pie

• Reply Ginger September 12, 2008 at 10:31 am

Wow, that looks and sounds amazing! We’ve only cooked rabbit once because we find it so hard to locate, I really would like to make more use of it though as it’s so tasty.

Gingers last blog post..Stir Fried Scallops

• Reply Peter G September 12, 2008 at 10:35 am

Ok..did you save some for me? This looks so rich and amazing Helen…I think I need to be more adventurous with some of my meat choices. Well done!

Reply Helen September 12, 2008 at 11:00 am

Kittie – I heartily enourage you to get down to that butchers and get yourself a rabbit! They will cut it up for you so there is no fuss and hen you can just enjoy the wonderful flavour!
    Ginger – That is such a shame it is not so readily available where you are. When you do come across one though, at least it will be a delicious treat.
    Peter – Of course I did! I really want people to eat more rabbit, it is so tasty!

• Reply Peter September 12, 2008 at 11:32 am

WHOA! This is outstanding…if this lasagne doesn’t get you a gazillion hits, then the world is whacked!

Bravo (bowing)!

Peters last blog post..Soutzoukakia Smyrneika With Olives

• Reply Fearless Kitchen September 12, 2008 at 2:26 pm

This looks absolutely phenomenal, and that’s coming from someone with very conservative ideas about lasagne! I love how you’ve added sage to the bechamel – I’ve always found bechamel to be kind of bland, but you’ve cured it.

I think part of the problem I’ve always had with rabbit is the grease factor – maybe the ones over here are fattier? It’s also hard to find here. The lemony and fennel-y (yes, I made up that word) would really cut through a lot of that heaviness.

Fearless Kitchens last blog post..Recipe: Pisto Manchego

• Reply Katie September 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm

What a fantastic twist on a classic recipe! I always see rabbits running about where my dad lives. I wish I had the guts to catch one- free food!

• Reply Pete September 12, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Looks great, Helen. I made a rabbit leg bolognaise a couple of months ago but never considered a lasagne. Great idea and one I will definitely try.

Petes last blog post..Review: Hawksmoor

• Reply JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen September 12, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Wow Helen that looks fabulous, but I am one of those weirdos that you sited that just can’t eat rabbit! It is Roberto’s favorite animal of all time and so we just don’t go there! LOL! :)

JennDZ_The LeftoverQueens last blog post..Recipe: The BEST Homemade Pizza EVER and “Italian Mojitos”

• Reply Daziano September 12, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Wow, Helen! Let me tell you this is perfection. Non Italian lasagne tend to be too juicy, but you got it! You really know how to make lasagne the Italian way!!!

Dazianos last blog post..Crostata di fragole

• Reply Terry B September 12, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I’m all for anything that reduces the rabbit population, especially when it looks this delicious! One neighborhood where I lived was overrun by rabbits. Then a coyote moved in for a while; the bunny population took a major dive.

Terry Bs last blog post..Pasta with pecan pesto, pronto

• Reply Kitt September 12, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I’ve only ever had rabbit braised, but I love it. Flavorful and not gamey at all. I’d love to try it in lasagna. It does seem odd that rabbit is not more common in U.S. markets (and expensive as a result). Sure, rabbits are cute, but so are most of the other animals we eat. And they’re so economical to raise.

And why don’t more people eat squirrel? (Saw this squirrel sandwich video yesterday.)

Kitts last blog post..I’m No. 1!

• Reply Ben September 12, 2008 at 6:49 pm

My dad loves rabbit, but I’ve never cooked with it. This recipe sounds yummy.

Bens last blog post..Mamey cake

• Reply Wendy September 13, 2008 at 10:08 am

I haven’t tasted rabbit for some reason. Have no qualms about it whatsoever (ethically, I prefer to eat wild meat). Have eaten hare and thought it was horrid. Perhaps that’s what’s stopped me…

Lovely pics. You’ve really caught what I love most about lasagnes: the bubbling crispy bits!

Wendys last blog post..Blueberry Soup

• Reply Dan September 14, 2008 at 11:19 pm

this looks gorgeous. I wonder if I can trick my family into eating it?

Dans last blog post..Birthday Pancakes… Sort of

• Reply Mike September 15, 2008 at 2:24 am

That is a beautiful lasagna! I’ve become a bit conflicted–I’ve never tried rabbit before and am curious…but I also have fond memories of my dear and departed pet rabbit from my childhood :-/ . lol, my problems aside though, this sure does look amazing

Mikes last blog post..Deep-Fried Peaches (and other healthy things)

• Reply Irene September 15, 2008 at 5:16 am

Oh God, what are you trying to do to my hips?! The sauce… the falling-of-the-bone meat…. the runny cheese… I can taste it now, and boy, does it taste good (in my imagination, which is a little less dangerous).

Irenes last blog post..Afternoon Tea, Part II – Lemon Bars

• Reply David Hall September 15, 2008 at 9:19 am

Helen – it doesn;t take much from you to impress me anyway but a rabbit lasagne?! DROOL! I’m with you all the way, we need to eat more rabbit! I eat a lot of it. Rant over. Well done, cracking recipe.

Cheers
    Dave

David Halls last blog post..Born To Be Wild

Reply Helen September 15, 2008 at 9:30 am

Peter – Blimey! The lasagne was nice but bowing!
    Fearless kitchen – Hmm, maybe the ones over there are fattier, I’m not sure, having never tried one> the wild rabbits over here are fairly lean though, must be all that running aorund and reproducing 😉
    Katie – Yes I’m not sure I could catch my own!
    Pete – Rabbit bolognase sounds really really good! I must try that.
    Jenn- I knew you wouldn’t be able to! that is very sweet of you.
    Daziano – Well I am very honoured to have the seal of approval from an Italian!
    Terry – Lucky coyote….
    Kitt – I totally agree and thanks for the video link, I will check it out.
    Ben – You must try it!
    Wendy – Yes, you must try it, it’s not a gamey flavour at all, it’s sort of like really flavourful and rich tasting chicken.
    Dan – Give it a try, you won’t need to trick them twice I don’t think.
    Mike – Ah, try not to think about your childhood pet when you are eating!
    Irene – I think it is probably better for you than eating red meat so make that dream a reality!
    David – I knew you would be a fan.

• Reply Brilynn September 15, 2008 at 12:00 pm

That sounds awesome!
    I like the taste of rabbit but I don’t get it very often.

Brilynns last blog post..Procrastination: Lemon Pepper Shrimp

• Reply Allen of EOL September 16, 2008 at 1:14 am

I haven’t had rabbit since I was a kid. I don’t even know where I would buy one here in the states – guess I’d need to go huntin’ :-)

Looks delicious — beautiful photos!

Allen of EOLs last blog post..Frozen Grapes: a refreshing snack

• Reply Kalyn September 16, 2008 at 4:28 am

Looks fabulous. We had rabbits when I was a kid and I always felt traumatized when we ate the ones I liked most, but hey, I’m over it now. I’m loving sage lately too.

Kalyns last blog post..Garden Cucumber Salad Recipe with Tuna and Sweet Basil

• Reply Jeanne September 16, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I had to laugh – when I was a teenager I refuse to eat rabbit because it looked too much in death like it did in life… and then I grew up. Phew!! I love rabbit and don’t cook with it often enough. As for the bones argument, I don’t see how a rabbit can be any worse than a chicken in that department?! *Love* the sound of this lasagna – you had me at “sage-scented bechamel” :)

Jeannes last blog post..Thyme and sage roasted spaghetti squash – and a cautionary tale

• Reply Y September 17, 2008 at 2:00 am

I love all your recipes and this one is no different. Everything about this dish makes my mouth water!

Ys last blog post..Yet another apple crumble?

• Reply Sophie September 19, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Helen, this recipe really made me smile when I got back from my holiday in Italy. There’s something very British about the combination, yet a bit Italian too. It just sounds soooo tasty!

Sophies last blog post..Easy ingredients to make your smoothies nutritious and delicious

• Reply Mardhanaya June 3, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Hi, I can?t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)

• Reply Sophie October 25, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Finally got round to making this tonight and it was really, really good (nom!).

My OH made the bechamel sauce and now proclaims himself a culinary genius. The sage in the bechamel works wonderfully (I think I’ll try adding it to all lasagnes). No white wine handy so I used a bit of sherry for the ragu part worked just fine.

• Reply cafe world March 28, 2010 at 9:33 am

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so! really nice post.

• Reply Esicurr October 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I suspect that Buggs Bunny might be to blame for rabbit meat not being more popular on U.S. plates, although Porky Pig hasn’t had much affect on the love for bacon, ham, and barbecued ribs.