New Potatoes, Crisp Salami and Watercress

July 11, 2008

So there we were, me with trowel in hand, boyfriend brandishing the half a grow bag with the potato plant sprouting forth – putting it down on the table as if we were about to chop it’s head off or something. We cut through the grow bag and start pushing fingers into the earth, searching for potatoes – keep searching, keeeep searching…..

It turns out our first mighty strong potato plant managed to produce all of five (ish) potatoes. With hindsight I think it would have produced more had we left it another couple of weeks after the flowers died. Still, I must say – the flavour of those few potatoes was fantastic. We savoured every bite – all two of them.

Anyway, we have another plant so there is still hope for the crop. I used Anya potatoes for this salad in the end – they have a nice waxy texture – and mixed our measly offerings in too. You can see one of them on the left of the picture above. Fight for it?

The flavours in this salad are full on – salty, umami-packed salami (umami-salami, umami-salami), finely shredded spring onions and that salsa verde. It’s a nice peppery variation with the watercress that’s around right now – and just think of all those extra vitamins! Oh, go on, think about them…

When we get around to digging up that other plant (aka, pulling it out of the grow bag) – I’ll take some pictures so that you can all have a good laugh admire our bountiful harvest.

New Potatoes, Crispy Salami & Watercress Salsa Verde Recipe

New potatoes
Salami Slices (I used German), cut into strips
3 spring onions, finely shredded

For the salsa verde

50g watercress
2 cloves garlic
10 anchovy fillets (the brown, salty kind)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 small lemon
Extra virgin olive oil
1 small handful capers
1 small handful cornichons (baby gherkins)
1 small handful each basil leaves, parsley leaves and mint leaves
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard

– Cook the potatoes until just tender, drain and set aside in a serving dish.
– Add the salami slices to a hot, dry pan and cook until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
– Add the garlic, watercress, herbs, anchovies, cornichons and capers to a blender and pulse to a coarse paste. You can do this by hand if you like, or with a pestle and mortar. Add the lemon juice and/or mustard to loosen if necessary so you can blend it properly. Decant into a bowl and add any remaining wet ingredients, loosening it with the oil to the desired consistency. I left mine quite paste-like this time.
– Add some salsa verde to the potatoes, mix in the salami and sprinkle over the onions.

• Reply Nina July 11, 2008 at 8:16 am

Oh my word, this looks so delicious. A meal all on its own….

• Reply Lizzie July 11, 2008 at 8:51 am

I keep meaning to experiment with salsa verde as it has all my favourite ingredients in it.

Shame about the potatoes, but what you did have must have been tasty!

• Reply kathryn July 11, 2008 at 9:30 am

Aren’t salsa verde and potatoes wonderful companions? Despite your small crop, the potatoes do look wonderful. A couple of years ago I tried to grow potatoes in our garden. 4 strong, healthy plants. Waited, waited, waited. And then had to dig them all up for one meal. It was a pitiful harvest of the tiniest potatoes you could possibly imagine. More like cherry tomatoes.

Mind you they tasted wonderful – intense potato-ness. But still a little disappointing.

• Reply Peter G July 11, 2008 at 9:34 am

At least you got some taters out of the plant! I’m impressed! Love the addition of salami to this salad and thats a very green salsa verde.

• Reply David Hall July 11, 2008 at 10:42 am

Helen, my word, right up my street! Simple, cheap and utterly delicious! Now in my top 10 fave recipes of the year, brilliant. Funny story on the potatoes too, we are experiencing the same issues here in our bucket garden!

Dave x

• Reply aforkfulofspaghetti July 11, 2008 at 10:56 am

You got me at crispy salami. 😉 And absolutely fresh-out-of the garden new potatoes? Can’t beat ’em.

• Reply kittie July 11, 2008 at 4:22 pm

This salad is to die for!

• Reply JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen July 11, 2008 at 6:38 pm

That is yet another beautiful salad Helen! You and Chris are eating so well. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your other potato plant!

umami salami is funny, almost as funny as Roberto’s eldest calling me her salami mami!

• Reply Paula July 11, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Oh yum, yum, yum! Crispy salami and potatoes … delicious!

• Reply italian foodie July 11, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Oh wow, this looks delicious, I never thought of putting salsa verde with potatoes – YUM!! I love the addition of the salami too:)

• Reply matt wright July 12, 2008 at 12:36 am

This looks incredible. I have never tried salsa verdi with potatoes, but it looks like it would work perfectly. I love the slices of salami in there. I bet it would be good with toasted proscuitto too.

• Reply Johanna July 12, 2008 at 2:05 am

I am sure those homegrown potatoes tasted good, and love the idea of salsa verde with potatoes because have thought about making it but not sure how to serve it – great summery salad

• Reply Christie @ fig&cherry July 12, 2008 at 6:13 am

Umami salami. Hehe.

Reply Helen July 12, 2008 at 7:50 am

Kathryn – I’m sorry to her you had a similar experience!
    David – top 10 recipes of the year – wowsers!!!
    Jenn – That is so funny! Salami mami! Ha ha!
    Christie – glad to see you liked that too.

A message to all – Try potatoes with salsa verde – it’s a bloomin revelation!

• Reply joey July 14, 2008 at 2:36 pm

This looks delicious! A brilliant use for salsa verde…love the sound of your watercress salsa verde too 🙂

joeys last blog post..Salsa Verde

• Reply cookinpanda July 14, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I’ve been away for a few days, and cannot keep up with all your salads!! I really look forward to trying them all (just haven’t commented on all of them) and have them bookmarked. This one looks particularly fabulous.

cookinpandas last blog post..Strawberry FRUIT pops

• Reply _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver July 15, 2008 at 6:42 am

anchovies! capers! cornichons! a WATERCRESS salsa verde!

potatoes and CRISPY salami?!!

_ts of [eatingclub] vancouvers last blog post..Simple Greek Meal

• Reply Tim July 21, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I could eat tiny boiled new potatoes all day. This looks delicious 🙂

• Reply Jeanne July 25, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Yum!! Salami and potatoes are such a happy combo, and I love the salsa verde too. Well done you for growing those tasty potatoes, even if you aren’t quite ready to open a market stall yet 🙂

Jeannes last blog post..Deconstructed cherry pavlova "shots"

• Reply We Are Never Full July 27, 2008 at 12:05 am

At first glance, I thought these were gnocchi! Now I’m thinking that could be another great way to switch up this recipe. Beautiful.