Barbecued Pineapple Salsa with Mackerel

May 13, 2008

Pineapple Salsa

I always come back to this pineapple salsa. If you haven’t tried cooking the fruit in this way, then do – it’s super sweet and summery.

Barbecued Pineapple Salsa Recipe

1 ripe pineapple, sliced fairly thick
2-3 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 red chilli (de-seed or not, up to you), chopped finely
1 small bunch coriander, chopped, leaves picked
1 small bunch mint, leaves picked and roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 small red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon oil (I used groundnut as it is flavourless and takes high temperatures)
Salt and pepper

– Mix the oil and honey together with a good seasoning of salt and pepper and brush over the pineapple slices. Grill on the barbecue until caramelised and charred.
– Mix all the other ingredients except the herbs in a bowl. When the pineapple is ready, cut the flesh into chunks, discarding the core and mix through the salsa. Season with salt and pepper, stir through the herbs and serve.

• Reply Peter G May 13, 2008 at 8:22 am

Your excitement at the weather is very obvious Helen. The salsa looks summery, the pineapple perfect and the oysters oblivious (to their fate!). Great post and a great read…can’t wait to see that mini garden of yours. Cheers

• Reply Lizzie May 13, 2008 at 9:02 am

I love the look of that salsa – currently I can’t get enough of pineapple and its a winning combination with chilli. We also had a barbeque at the weekend but due to the mad rush for barbeques there was none left and we had to fashion one out of a shopping trolley. Still, it worked…!

• Reply Jeanne May 13, 2008 at 11:47 am

Oh wow, I am so definitely going to try that pineapple salsa! Always on the lookout for new things to try on the BBQ πŸ™‚ And I love mackerel too – a very underrated fish.

• Reply Ben May 13, 2008 at 1:08 pm

We thought summer had arrived to my corner of the earth, but this weekend was cold and rainy again, just my perfect weather :-p

That meal looks so good that I wish I had a grill and some fish to have it right now. Grilled pineapple is the best!

• Reply Fearless Kitchen May 13, 2008 at 3:24 pm

This looks great. I like the idea of the pineapple salsa, and combining it with the mackerel is brilliant.

• Reply matt wright May 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm

This looks really awesome. I love grilled mackerel, and the salsa looks really fresh.

• Reply JennDZ_The Leftover Queen May 13, 2008 at 7:12 pm

This looks totally awesome Helen! I am so mad, I have never been in a place where I could get fresh sardines – but makerel I might be able to find! I would so be making this – I love the pineapple salsa, the bright colors and the oysters! Everything looks amazing!

• Reply nina May 13, 2008 at 8:14 pm

What a colorful meal this is – full of body and full of flavor. Very appealing!!!

• Reply Nicisme May 14, 2008 at 5:10 pm

I adore pineapple salsa, not had it with mackerel though – I think I did something similar with salmon and that was good.
    Nice photos Helen.

• Reply Wendy May 14, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Embarrassed to say, I still haven’t tried oysters. What do they taste like exactly? Can you compare the taste to anything else? What about the texture?

Reply Helen May 14, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Thank you for your nice comments everyone and Nicisme, thanks for the complement on the photos, yours are great so I am flattered.

Wendy – Firstly I would say that oysters taste like the sea – not in a really salty and watery way, in a really refreshing, cleansing way. They are creamy (some more so than others), fresh, slightly salty, very slightly sweet and just downright brilliant for curing a hangover, honestly. The more oysters you eat, the more you love them – for me anyway!

• Reply Julia May 14, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Excellent post Helen! The Mackerel and salsa looks fantastic. I adore oysters, I love eating them at Whitstable Harbour where they’re famous!

• Reply manju May 14, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Lovely description of the taste of oysters in that last comment, and spot on, too! Your photo of them looks so delish, who needs seaweed? We make pineapple salsas often, but I’ve never had them with mackerel — will have to try that. Your enthusiasm for the warm weather is very infectious, even to us who only have ‘dry’ and ‘less-dry’ for seasons! Happy Spring!

• Reply Christie @ fig&cherry May 15, 2008 at 4:35 am

This looks divine! I’m a fan of grilled fruit too – mango on the bbq is also great with fish and chilli!

• Reply EAT! May 24, 2008 at 11:06 am

I felt the same way as you when trying oysters for the first time. Now I eat them every chance I get!! Beautiful photos.

• Reply steev May 26, 2008 at 10:55 pm

this one looks really great hope its as delecious as it looks