BREADS | PIZZA | CRUMPETS

Jersey Royal, Watercress and Feta Bread

April 18, 2008

jersey-royal-bread

Β I’ve made potato bread before using this recipe so I decided to follow the basic structure and just play around with the ingredients as necessary. Firstly, I must say that this loaf is moist – at first I thought too moist, even sticky. The next day however, it dries out a bit to a respectable bread-like texture. Problem is, you obviously need to eat it warm from the oven otherwise what is the point in baking bread at all? I’m just warning you that’s all. We actually enjoyed the gooey texture. It’s definitely comfort food.

I made a simple black olive tapenade to eat with the bread, a spread which I find to be highly addictive and consequently really bad for my waistline. It’s not the tapenade per se that’s the problem, it’s the large quantity of bread that I spread it on.

Jersey Royal, Watercress and Feta Bread Recipe

350g Jersey royals, 2/3 grated, 1/3 chopped into small chunks
200g feta cheese
A generous handful of watercress, chopped
A generous handful of Greek (or regular) basil, roughly torn
350g self-raising flour
6 spring onions, finely sliced
1 heaped teaspoon of fine salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon sugar

Preheat the oven to Gas 5/190C/375F and grease a baking sheet really well.

– Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
– Add the grated and chopped potatoes, spring onions, watercress, basil and crumble in the feta.
– Use a palette knife to blend thoroughly.
– Beat the eggs with the milk and add to the bowl. Bring together to form a loose dough, still using the palette knife.
– Put the mix onto the baking sheet and shape it into a rough loaf. Dust the top lightly with flour.
– Bake, middle shelf for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.
– Cool on a rack before serving.

Black Olive Tapenade Recipe

We like our tapenade to be anchovy-heavy so you may want to adjust the quantity if you want less of the fish, more just a seasoning. I also like to make it fairly chunky as you can see, which I think helps to keep the individual flavours.

2 garlic cloves, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons capers, chopped
8 anchovy fillets, chopped
40 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
Small bunch parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

I really enjoy chopping this by hand but I realise that normal people would probably just chuck it all in the blender. Pulse everything except the oil. Decant into a bowl first, then stir it in.

• Reply Peter G April 19, 2008 at 12:01 am

I absolutely love your creativity Helen. This sounds and looks like one fab creation! In regards to Greek basil, I really can’t recall seeing it used in many dishes when I was growing up. Actually, Greek basil has a religious significance for Greeks, but good on you for throwing it into the mix and playing around with the falvours.

• Reply Pixie April 19, 2008 at 6:04 am

I’m going to have to see if I can get that basil at my local S. The bread sounds wonderful too. πŸ™‚

• Reply Wendy April 19, 2008 at 7:34 am

Like how gnarly the bread is and adore tapanade. Have never been able to make a batch that I like more than the premade stuff though!
    Interesting memoir. I felt quite uncomfortable doing it too. Why is that?

• Reply Lore April 19, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Oh wow! I really enjoyed potato bread as a child but you’re taking it to a whole new level. Fabulous job!

• Reply Julia April 19, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Wow, what a fantastic looking bread – and so unusual, I never would have thought of putting these ingredients in a bread! Thanks for entering.

• Reply Lisa April 19, 2008 at 5:47 pm

I love feta!! I’m drooling over this bread. A must try.

• Reply Kevin April 19, 2008 at 8:23 pm

That tapenade looks so good spread all over that bread. I have never seen Greek basil before. I have only tired regula and Thai basil.

• Reply Sophie April 19, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Gorgeous! Love the idea of the tapenade with it (it doesn’t really suit a slice of cheese on top as there is already some in there).

I’ve made both the potato and parsnip versions of delia’s orignial recipe and they always turn out great (even if you are a baking disaster like me!). Shame she’s doing all that ready made stuff now when she can come up with equally quick and simple ‘from scratch’ recipes

• Reply Christie @ fig&cherry April 20, 2008 at 10:09 am

Hi Helen,
    I’ve never been tagged before, thank you! (I’m such a geek to be excited about it!). Also, I’ve never tried Greek Basil, but you’ve got me salivating for it now… x

Reply Helen April 20, 2008 at 10:30 am

Peter G – Thank you! I had no idea that Greek basil has a religious significance. Google didn’t turn up much at all really.
    Pixie – The S I love near to is quite big so you might have some luck at the larger stores.
    Wendy – Loving the description of the bread as ‘gnarly’! It is isn’t it? The memoir thing is weird, I don’t know. I just feel a bit weird thinking of words to describe myself without sounding sentimental!
    Lore – Thanks!
    Julia – thanks, I’m really loking forward to the round up.
    Lisa – feta is awesome. The bread would also be great with goat’s cheese.
    Kevin – Me too! Until now of course…
    Sophie – I totally agree with you about Delia as some of her old recipes are really great as you know. The new series is definitely not for cooks like us but for people who want to take one step away from takeaway food.
    Christie – That’s great that I gave you your first tag! I’m looking forward to reading it.

• Reply Niamh April 20, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Wpow – great looking bread. I love greek basil, it’s so potent. I must try this. Thanks!

• Reply Serena April 21, 2008 at 8:16 am

Hi! how weird I discovered Greek Basil last weekend too (they also sell it in Waitrose). I was hoping it might fare better in my kitchen than the regular stuff – still looking healthy 1 week on! That bread looks yummy though, I’m just so lazy when it comes to bread making… !

• Reply ossi April 23, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I am Greek and I never noticed our spiritual connectrion to basil πŸ™‚ however, a nice enough recipe that I will have to try out soon.
    Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Reply kittie April 30, 2008 at 2:43 pm

That is one fantastic looking loaf!
    Great flavours – I think it must go so well with the tapenade πŸ™‚

• Reply glutenfreeforgood May 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I found your site while wandering through Rambling Spoon and I’m glad I did. Great ideas, great recipes, great photos. Very creative.

I just copied your “Black Olive Tampenade” recipe, which made my mouth water just transferring it to my computer. I love capers, olives, and anchovies — so your recipe was a nice discovery. Lots of ways to use this! Hmmm, where do I start?

Thank you so much! And I’ll be back…

Melissa

• Reply Bellini Valli May 18, 2008 at 8:50 pm

This is an amazing bread Helen:D